Which welder

[...]

I think Grimly might be more concerned with the annoyance of having to scroll down through lots of posts he's already read.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I imagine he's printing them out on itsy paper with holes down each side a la "grandstand teleprinter" ...... if so

W I P E A R S E H E R E

should bring back a sense of purpose (if not reality - ouch)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not strictly true, the are four gas mixes supplied to the pub trade, one is food grade pure Co2 for soft drinks, and some Lagers. then you have 30 50 and 70% N2 mixes for different ales and stouts. How do i know this as fact and not an OWT, i own a pub. A 14lb refill should cost no more then £10, don't know how much you are paying for fire extinguisher refills but i bet it's more then that.

Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

You know me so well, dahlink.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

let me know when you've finished your enigma .

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Update on which welder and which gas I used up two disposable bottles practising, the co2 was usable but the argon/co2 was the better much easer to use so i have rented an argosheld bottle from boc which seems to be even better perhaps because you have to use a proper regulator. The Clark pro 90 works extremely well on thin car body metal, but 3mm is about its absolute limit so not so good if you later intend making gates, trailers, etc. Picture of my first repair on the VW

for the help and advice.

Reply to
Ozie

A cheapo AC arc stick welder is fine for that. I welded up the steering on my ride-on mower yesterday with one.

(I'd like to know what bozo decided that applying the steering loads to a 90 degree bend in a piece of 1/4" diameter rod was a good idea? This is the third time it's fatigue failed, so this time I did it properly and reinforced it with some plate, rather than just sticking it back together.)

Reply to
Huge

Welds look very nice. Maybe you've missed your vocation.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I was thinking that too! I usually use gasless, but perhaps I need argoshield.....

Reply to
newshound

I did try an arc welder many years ago but could not get on with it at all most of the time all i managed was to stick the welding rod to the piece of metal and then destroy the rod trying to remove it without blinding myself, i see they are also referred to as stick welders hmm perhaps i will give it another go now im a bit older and wiser,

-- Ozie

Reply to
Ozie

Thanks Im actually an art teacher by profession, if you can call it that, but i have really enjoyed attacking rusty metal with an angle grinder i may try some garden sculptures with the leftovers i have cut out and the offcuts when im done with the VW.

Reply to
Ozie