Where to locate shower switch

I would like some opinions on where to place the ceiling string pull shower switch.

Standing in the bathroom looking at the wall, the bathroom door is in the centre of the wall with sink to the right and bath to the left.

The shower will go on the wall so as we can use the wall end of the bath as a shower part with shower curtain to the right i.e. behind the door as it opens (the door is hinged on the left).

I intend putting the string pull light switch to the right of the door a few inches into bathroom. This will be so that when someone opens the bathroom door they can switch on the light before going any further.

Should the shower switch go alongside the light switch i.e. about 27 inches away from the bath or to the left behind the door (as it opens) on the dry side of the shower curtain?

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

Behind the door would be my choice. The door is usually closed when you go for a shower at most houses (mine excluded).

Have a look at

make sure it is allowed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Anywhere that you can't reach it while standing in the shower, but close enough to be operated if the shower is being serviced/repaired. Or, where it looks the prettiest.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:15:13 GMT, "Bobby Bewl ®" strung together this:

Some people over-think these things! I would put it anywhere that isn't staring you in the face when you walk in. Usually, if the door oopens inwards, hinged on the right, with the bath on the left then then I'd put the shower switch behind the door. This only works if the suite is white or cream and the ceiling is painted white and the door has georgian panels, but you get the idea. You can adapt this scenario to suit your installation.

Reply to
Lurch

Adam

Thanks for the link which seems to answer my query plus a few others concerning zones.

Most helpful.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

This may be the reason it is to the right of the door (the shower being on the left of the door) so it cannot be reached while standing in the shower. I would have thought that while the switch is a string pull it would not matter if it was within arms reach of standing in the shower.

Thanks for your reply, mate.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

lol.

Yep, you dead right - "Some people over-think these things!". Maybe it is a lack of confidence on my part or just a lack of knowledge of regs.

I have had a look at the link given by Adam. I am going to install it behind the door on the dry side of the shower screen (in the ceiling part of zone 3).

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

As the plastic back box for the shower pull switch is so ugly, consider using a dry liner set into the ceiling if it is possible.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That sounds interesting. I cannot find an example of what you mean by googling it. Can you explain or give an example, please?

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

If you have a good solid plasterboard ceiling then use something like

the switch to attach to. It looks better than the big plastic box shower pull switches are usually fastened to. Another option is to use a metal back box that is sunk into the ceiling and supported securely to the joists or to a baton between two joists.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:55:02 GMT, "ARWadsworth" strung together this:

Or, if surface mounting is the only option use a Crabtree shower switch, much better looking than all those horrible square things. I use them because they're also a lot lot easier to wire.

Reply to
Lurch

Or put the back box on the loft side of the plasterboard, and the faceplate on the underside. Use longer screws to accommodate "trapping" the celing plasterboard between the face plate and the back box.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:04:31 GMT, "Paul" strung together this:

Erm, yes. Better doing it the 'proper' way though!

Reply to
Lurch

Now what is a "Crabtree shower switch"? I cannot find one on the internet.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

Crabtree is the manufacturer, Their shower pull switch is round not square, but they are surface mounted. They are also much easier to wire 10mm^2 cable to than all other pull switches.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:57:41 GMT, "Bobby Bewl ®" strung together this:

They're in here

Cat no. 2167, page 11.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks, Lurch. It took about 13 minutes to download using dial up (broadband modem has packed up) but worth it.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl ®

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:08:05 GMT, "Bobby Bewl ®" strung together this:

No problem.

Ouch, nasty!

Reply to
Lurch