Where to place cold air return

In finishing my basement all 3 of my supply lines will be near the ceiling at 3 different corners of the basement. For the cold-air return, I can either place it in the middle of the room near the ceiling, or in the fourth corner of the room near the floor. I realize that it really should be near the floor in the middle of the room, but that just is not possible for me. So my question is which is generally better - to have the return in the middle of the room and have it near the ceiling, or to have it off to the side, but near the floor? Thanks.

Reply to
Matt

It depends partially on whether you are more concerned about heating or cooling, and you don't say which is your more critical application.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Assuming it's mainly heating for the basement, I'd go with the return near the floor. If it's at the ceiling and the supplies are also there, you may have much of the heat staying up top. But on the other hand, if it's all living space above that's heated too, may not matter all that much as the warm air at the top will contribute to heating the house too.

Reply to
trader4

Matt,

For maximum comfort during the heating season you want the supply registers down near the floor and the return(s) (roughly equal in size to the supplies) also near the floor. During the cooling and dehumidifying season you'd want them all in the ceiling with the capability to open or close them depending on the season. This is ideal if someone is actually going to live in the basement (like a bedroom). If the basement is just for occasional use then just try to balance the supply and return and be sure to wear shoes or slippers during the winter. If the return is less then the supply then you'll suffer a bit for comfort and the conditioned air will try to go upstairs or up the chimney if you have an older furnace Don't put the return(s) too near a supply vent. Many basements don't have any return so some is better than none.

My Minnesota 30-year-old rambler basement stays in the mid sixties throughout the year and I don't condition it, although it is setup for it and is insulated. The floor is cold (mid 50's year round), but I only use it to hide from the rest of the family. If it was too comfortable, it wouldn't be a good place to hide. When I put in a new furnace a year and a half ago I discovered that the returns in half of the upper house (entry, kitchen, family and living rooms) were not connected to the furnace. (Must have been a bad day for the HVAC guys.) Strangely enough, I also had a 3" return drawing air directly from the attic and I closed that off. Connecting things properly did improve the comfort and energy savings in the house during both seasons. I run the heat pump till it hits 20 degrees F and have been saving a lot of money there as well.

Good luck with the project. I think you are on the right track.

dss

Reply to
dss

Top posting for Chris... He said he knew that. ww

Reply to
WW