Strange place for cold air return

I previously had a home in Minnesota that was built in the 1950's. I now live in a home that was built in 1991 in SW Ohio. The cold air return vents are located on or near the ceiling. I think this is a strange place for the cold air return vents. The heating vents are located on the floor (as I would expect), but away from where the windows are located. Maybe they do things differently in Ohio, but I would expect the cold air return vents to be located on or near the floor and the heat vents located under the windows. At least, that's the way my house in Minnesota was constructed and that's what makes the most sense to me. The rooms are evenly heated in the winter but it doesn't seem right.

The Wobulator

*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
Reply to
The Wobulator

Surprise...the unit does not care where they are located.

A properly designed, and sized duct system, mated with a properly sized AC and heat unit, will heat and cool the home in the manner that you, will expect. Correctly. In CA, most homes were slab homes, and the units were placed either in the attic, or in a garage..it didnt matter. Here, in NC, we place them where it makes the most sense. If the unit will be in the basement, one central return, or two, located in the walls, feeding the lower unit....if its in the attic, one or two in the ceiling. Makes no difference at all. The design, taking sizing, and unit SP into consideration, is all that matters.

Reply to
CBHvac