Where to get GOOD shipping containers in the SE

Hi,

We are in Kent. I'm intending to put our furniture etc. in some shipping containers on-site during our build starting June.

I suspect that I'll need at least 3 x 20' WATERTIGHT containers... (does that sound enough?).

Can anyone recommend a good supplier and what I should expect to pay (probably to buy rather than rent - its a year-long build).

Many thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

You could try a Google search! I did, eg:

a week each.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ooops. Thought he said rent not buy - I see it was the other way round. Prices to buy there also.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

shipping

Do you need to get at the furniture during the build, or are you planning to store it on site, ne'er to see the light o' day until the official opening ceremony?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

I suspect that we won't need to get to it (we are living elsewhere on site), but I want to be able to check the condition of the stuff... Watertightness is a MUST !

What I was after realloy was a supplier recommendation - Google is OK, but nothing beats personal experience of suppliers...

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

Watertightness

Well, I was going to suggest looking into a self-storage unit. There's a place in my village which charges £16.50 per week for 50 sq ft.

Neil Jones

Consider using a modern self storage. That way, you not only get watertight storage, but heating and air conditioning. After all, you don't want to store for a year to find that your expensive furniture and clothes have all rotted away.

OTOH, I suspect the containers would be much cheaper.

Perhaps the best solution would be to put most of the stuff into the cheap containers and have a small maintained heated self store unit for clothes and soft furniture.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

road - I spoke to the Mr.Box people just now, and for 6->12 month rental for a *new* 20' container is 9 quid/week - and that's for 160 sq. ft. Delivery is about 150 quid for 1 container, or 210 for two, so that makes 1200 quid/year for 320 sq. ft. vs 5,500 for self-storage! I know that self-storage has other plusses (heating, secure building etc.), but that is a huge difference in cost, especially as we have the space on-site...

...just have to remember to open the doors every week for an hour or so to stop the condensation....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

I did wonder if the price would put you off.

Cheers

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

And watch out for bugs and critters moving in to the stuff while it's in the containers, too! They can get in very small gaps, or while you've got those doors open for ventilation... and like comfy sofas and matresses etc.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

You could consider building a timber framed garage on site, and then relocate it at the end of the build?

Reply to
TTT

A dehumdifier would be better, as opening the doors in winter would let damp in. Whichever way you go it may be best to leave a space round the sides of the container to allow air to circulate, and keep an eye out for condensation on the roof that might drip off and damage something.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C