Where can I buy drop-down kerbstones?

Good evening.

I have a concrete pad in my front "garden", used to park a car on. It has a sharp drop at one edge, with a gravel area next to this sharp drop.

Now I want to smooth the sharp edge, so people can park on the gravel as well as the concrete pad. I think that a neat and easy way to do this would be to put concrete drop-down kerbstones along the edge.

Could anyone please advise on where to get these?

Another idea is to make a short concrete ramp, but I don't know how to do this. If I make a ramp of concrete, won't it just slump level while it is wet?

Thanks very much.

-David Pearson

Reply to
David Pearson

Some builders merchants stock highway parts.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Phone round the builders merchants. I'd start off by avoiding the large chains. In N Wales, try Burdens.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

If your council is anything like mine (Oldham) they insist THEY have to do it!! I have just had my front block paved and they charged me just over £400 for the privilege of letting them do it!! Grumps

Reply to
Grumps

And with most local authorities you must obtain their permission to do the work - you cannot just go ahead and do it. (At least not legally!)

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Nothing to do with the council. It's all on his land. We are not talking a public dropped kerb here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A more domestic-scale approach would be to use block paving edging blocks - some of these can be laid to provide a sloped edge, or if you have a greater height difference to overcome, you could add another row of blocks. These would all best be bedded on a weak concrete.

If you made it too wet, or too steep, yes, but go easy on the water and you'll be fine. If it's at all steep, or long enough that people will step on it, leave the finish as board-tamped rather than trowelled to give some grip.

Reply to
Autolycus

Thanks everyone, for good advice received.

-DP (Original poster)

.
Reply to
David Pearson