When using an angle grinder, should the blade spin towards or away from you?

I have been cutting some slabs and found that by rotating the guard on my 230mm grinder, I could use it 2 ways:
1. Blade spins towards you.
In this method, the the dust fires AWAY from you, BUT if/when the grinder kicks, it will come towards you.
2. Blad spins away from you
Now you get the dust firing in to your leg, but grinder would now 'kick' away from you!.
I am guessing that the 2nd of these is the safest, but which is correct?
Add pictures here
✖

I've always used mine this way. Seems the safest to me - though shortly after getting my first grinder, when cutting some metal pipe, I nearly set myself alight (a slight exageration I melted a hole in my fleece but it could have been a lot worse) So now I'm always careful as to where the waste flies.
Matt
✖

Sparks from metal grinding are very dangerous - my father set his workshop on fire and died in it. We reckon that he was grinding metal.
Rob
Add pictures here
✖
On 31 Jul 2003 09:28:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Jon Weaver) wrote:

I've only a little Bosch grinder but have used that both ways. I don't think I'd like to try stopping a big one if it kicked back towards me though.
Got enough holes in my t-shirts already from grinding metal. :-)
Mark S.
Add pictures here
✖
Mark wrote:

Leather welders apron is what you need
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 481&ts€831

Add pictures here
✖
On 31 Jul 2003 09:28:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Jon Weaver) wrote:

Sparks away from you, kicks towards you.
When a grinder kicks (unlike a chainsaw) it will tend to kick in a fairly straight and predictable manner. It doesn't tend to twist and buck. You can resist this quite easily. Besides which, grinders don;t kick in anything like the way that saws do.
One hazard you do find with 9" grinders is the gyroscopic effect of the disk. I don't much like mine because of this, and tend to use a 7" flap wheel for much of the time. A 9" grinder is also slower than a 4 1/2", so the wheel linear speed is about the same. Unless you really need the motor power, there's not really much extra capacity to a 9" and they're much more awkward.
Add pictures here
✖