What to do with you junk mail

Page 1 of 2
A man in USA owns a house which is heated by a wood-burner boiler. He bought a gadget which compresses paper into "logs" he then got in touch with as many junk mail lists as possible. Now he heats his home all winter for free. ;))
KAS wrote:

Damn, and I've registered our address with the MPS :-(

Not what I have found, I registered about 3 years ago and am still junk mail free :-)))

AP
--

We were always told that a million monkeys typing for a million years
would eventually produce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
snipped-for-privacy@nokia.com wrote:

I knew a guy many years ago who played the junk mailers at their own game. He saved all the junk and when he received one containing a pre-paid reply envelope (such as from credit card companies) he stuffed as much into it as he could and posted it back. I did it a couple of times myself with CC companies - returned the application form blank.

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:30:05 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

Yes, it's a good game that one! ;O)

I'm pretty sure they have changed the terms of what can and can't be done with their envelopes and their mail license in recent years.
However when this wheeze was first discovered and circulated, a number of us were known to have wrapped a brick in newspaper (to soften the edges, and make it less obvious) and then in a layer or two or old brown paper etc. and stuck their envelope to the package. If left with the post office it went as far as we ever knew.
It did say on the envelope, something like "postage will be paid by licensee"! I guess they got billed for it. Serve them right too - spammy, little devils!
Many a time I included their "paperwork" including my details in the envelope as I wanted them to know what I thought of being on their mailing list, and it seemed fair to allow them to remedy things if the arrangement I'd made wasn't to their liking. Seldom got a repeat or anything else from them.
I've been known to "smart recycle" too at times, by sending the paperwork from the "loan offers" to those who wrote to me asking me if I'd mind just giving them some money. ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Another variation on the theme is to give out fictitious names and real telephone numbers for those randy chat lines (no, I don't happen to know any of those numbers before anyone asks....).
There's another twist as well. You could get one of those telephone numbers which pays you a percentage of the call charge, and give that number out to these offers when they arrive. Whenever you get a call on that line get a doorbell to ring in the background (you can set up a dummy one in your desk drawer of something), tell the caller you'll be right back as it is the postman at the door wanting a signature - put the caller on hold, and collect the cash from them ;)
PoP
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:30:05 +0000, parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

I got fed up with the amount of crap coming through my letterbox with a free weekly newspaper. As a minor hobby I saved it over a period of months in a box in my garage, then one night at a weekend I posted it all back through the newspaper's letterbox. It was a huge pile that eventually settled across an area several feet from the door, with their regular mail buried underneath. It gave me some satisfaction for a while.
The postman here seems to deliver me non-addressed junk mail, marked 'hand-delivered by Royal Mail' or something. That goes back in the letter box, sometimes with a 'comment' on it.
MJ
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:35:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@MJ.com wrote:

Thank you, I'd not thought of that one, but wish I had; it's the last "missing piece" for my "personal puzzle"! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

One oft-repeated trick is to sellotape the prepaid envelope to a house brick.
Simon Gardner wrote:

Tricky getting it into a postbox though. Metal plate offcuts in a jiffy bag fit though...
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
snipped-for-privacy@nokia.com wrote:

2 years junk free with MPS & TPS, now just need to register the previous occupants.
Toby.
Toby wrote:

I thought that it was the address/phone number that was registered, not the name(s) of the occupants?

On 5 Sep 2003 17:36:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

It's helpful that you can now register online through the MPS website. And it's worth remembering that your name gets taken off the list after 5 years unless you re-register.
Interestingly if you register with the Telephone Preference Service, or Fax Preference Service, and a Direct Marketing Company contacts you by one of these methods then it's committing an offence. That doesn't seem to be so with the MPS -- but as far as I'm concerned it's worked OK for the last 4 or 5 years and I've just re-registered.
Chris Ward.
snipped-for-privacy@ovtsbbg.pbz wrote:

Sadly, market research companies are exempt from the the TPS scheme which, aside from the fact that MR are a PITA, gives the telephone sales cowboys a (sort of) loophole. How many of you, registered with TPS or not, have had a call along the lines of, "you took part in a survey X months ago and we entered you into our free prize draw........"? As soon as you tell them that you *never* take part in telephone surveys, or ask for their contact details (which they are legally obliged to provide) they hang up (and 1471 gives "number witheld").

As a Local Govt Officer (cough), I thought I should tell you why. My section has it's own operator and she handles calls for 120 people. The switchboard automatically puts 141 in front of our dialled numbers. I remember the week 1471 came in, the operator was getting about 1 call every five minutes along the lines of "Some-one rang me from this number earlier, what was that about?". It's standard practice for large businesses to withhold their number for this very reason. Our City Hall operators handles calls for 2000 people so you can imagine what a nightmare it was them....
"Suz" wrote | > Surprisingly, some local govt officers also seem to hide behind | > number witheld. | As a Local Govt Officer (cough), I thought I should tell you why. | My section has it's own operator and she handles calls for 120 | people. The switchboard automatically puts 141 in front of our | dialled numbers. I remember the week 1471 came in, the operator | was getting about 1 call every five minutes along the lines of | "Some-one rang me from this number earlier, what was that about?". | It's standard practice for large businesses to withhold their | number for this very reason. | Our City Hall operators handles calls for 2000 people so you can imagine | what a nightmare it was them....
But there are several resolutions to the problem:
1. Have the switcboard send each extension's DDI number as a presentation number. Calls come back to the people who made them.
2. Give the switchboard operator a screen linked into the call logger system and incoming caller display, so the operator can see the last extension(s) that made an outgoing call to the number phoning in.
Or, the one that has least least adverse impact on the confidentiality aspect of releasing calling line identity:
3. Use a presentation number that isn't the switchboard's incoming number, but connects to an answering machine with a message saying "You have probably reached this number by returning a call made by a user on the Borsetshire Council telephone system to your number. Unfortunately we cannot re-connect you to the person who tried to call you."
Owain who's worked as a switchboard operator for a council
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:57:42 +0100, "Owain" wrote:

[snip]
Stirling stuff indeed, all of them!
However; Council, resolutions, same planet: I don't think so! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

They'll probably get around to that in 2016. This is public sector after all. Time for a tea break....
Suz who used to work in the real world, and can't get over my good luck in finding this holiday camp

So local govt. use number witheld for their convenience. That's ok because I also use it for my convenience.
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:01:42 +0100, Tony Williams

Absolutely!
Not even remotely surprised - most of them will hide behind just about anything rather than face something head on; in my experience of them that is, maybe I'm just unlucky in my patch. I'd be amazed though as collectively they've managed to arrange themselves in such a way as to be 3m-4m in the red, hardly keeping it open & realistic then! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}