What to do with you junk mail

A man in USA owns a house which is heated by a wood-burner boiler. He bought a gadget which compresses paper into "logs" he then got in touch with as many junk mail lists as possible. Now he heats his home all winter for free. ;))

Reply to
KAS

Damn, and I've registered our address with the MPS :-(

Reply to
parish

Bet his postman loves him. That would be a truckload of mail each week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Paper logs need other fuel, wood, coal, charcoal to burn to completion, so it would not be for free. They are also a PITA to make and the sort of glossy paper you get in many fliers would not work well and lots of burning of those heavy metal containing inks would not be a good idea.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Not what I have found, I registered about 3 years ago and am still junk mail free :-)))

AP

Reply to
andy.pevy

I'm not sure how you can criticise all the content of TV if you don't have a set?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Print them out then.... :)

Reply to
James Hart

Yes, it's a good game that one! ;O)

I'm pretty sure they have changed the terms of what can and can't be done with their envelopes and their mail license in recent years.

However when this wheeze was first discovered and circulated, a number of us were known to have wrapped a brick in newspaper (to soften the edges, and make it less obvious) and then in a layer or two or old brown paper etc. and stuck their envelope to the package. If left with the post office it went as far as we ever knew.

It did say on the envelope, something like "postage will be paid by licensee"! I guess they got billed for it. Serve them right too - spammy, little devils!

Many a time I included their "paperwork" including my details in the envelope as I wanted them to know what I thought of being on their mailing list, and it seemed fair to allow them to remedy things if the arrangement I'd made wasn't to their liking. Seldom got a repeat or anything else from them.

I've been known to "smart recycle" too at times, by sending the paperwork from the "loan offers" to those who wrote to me asking me if I'd mind just giving them some money. ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I knew a guy many years ago who played the junk mailers at their own game. He saved all the junk and when he received one containing a pre-paid reply envelope (such as from credit card companies) he stuffed as much into it as he could and posted it back. I did it a couple of times myself with CC companies - returned the application form blank.

Reply to
parish

I got fed up with the amount of crap coming through my letterbox with a free weekly newspaper. As a minor hobby I saved it over a period of months in a box in my garage, then one night at a weekend I posted it all back through the newspaper's letterbox. It was a huge pile that eventually settled across an area several feet from the door, with their regular mail buried underneath. It gave me some satisfaction for a while.

The postman here seems to deliver me non-addressed junk mail, marked 'hand-delivered by Royal Mail' or something. That goes back in the letter box, sometimes with a 'comment' on it.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Thank you, I'd not thought of that one, but wish I had; it's the last "missing piece" for my "personal puzzle"! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

In article , KAS writes

Very boring: I have printed sheets of labels saying "Return to Sender. Please take me off your mailing list". I stick one over my name & address (they're nearly always window envelopes) and post the mail back. Seems to work.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Another variation on the theme is to give out fictitious names and real telephone numbers for those randy chat lines (no, I don't happen to know any of those numbers before anyone asks....).

There's another twist as well. You could get one of those telephone numbers which pays you a percentage of the call charge, and give that number out to these offers when they arrive. Whenever you get a call on that line get a doorbell to ring in the background (you can set up a dummy one in your desk drawer of something), tell the caller you'll be right back as it is the postman at the door wanting a signature - put the caller on hold, and collect the cash from them ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

One oft-repeated trick is to sellotape the prepaid envelope to a house brick.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

But it does, you just have to print them out first silly. ;o)

Reply to
Jian Eater

You should thank God that you've only got 4 (5 now?) national channels there...

Here in Turkey there are at least 20 - all with commercials...

We have a TV card in the PC which is set to receive 2 or 3 channels... That died recently and I haven't got the time (or inclination!) to fix it! (Too busy trying to 'Destroy It Yourself' the rest of the house...)

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

2 years junk free with MPS & TPS, now just need to register the previous occupants.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

I would, but I don't find myself able to gather enough compelling evidence - and I am not about to start talking to myself, even for a "thank you, just in case"! ;O)

OoooWwHhh! sounds grizzly.

I can understand that! ;O)

Hmm. that and the "domestic" news server here! (it was only way to mend my ISPs truly appalling attempts at running NNTP!) So now I do my own mail, web and news, I have yet to set up my own DNS but that would seem a good move next - I thought I paid them for all this but sadly it seems I won't get it reliably from them. Sorry for mini rant, and for being a bit less than my cheerful self the last week or three, I guess I'm feeling a bit harassed by all that old trousers! ;O) (also the weather has put paid to me laminate floor laying intentions as the humidity has been through the roof, and not come back down for a whole

2 weeks yet. A very frustrating time indeed lately!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I thought that it was the address/phone number that was registered, not the name(s) of the occupants?

Reply to
parish

Tricky getting it into a postbox though. Metal plate offcuts in a jiffy bag fit though...

Reply to
James Hart