What size spanner for old kitchen tap?

I have an old kitchen tap and when I removed the protective cover I saw the body of the valve (I think !).

It had a sort of nut on its upper surface which I measured with a pair of sliding calipers as being 13/16 inch across the flats of the nut.

What size spanner in old UK measurements is normally used to fit this?

What size spanner (in current mm) is a good fit for this, if there a modern size which fits well?

Reply to
David Peters

(13 dived by 16) multiplied by 25.4 = 20.64mm

Try a 21mm spanner, or alternately use an adjustable one!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

One like this:

do all these types of job, and in most awkward positions as well.

Reply to
BigWallop

A Tap spanner ! These are designed for the job as you won't be bale to get a standard adjustable wrench in.

The look like a round bar around 1/2" diam, at the top is a curved knurled hook, you flick the spanner so that it hooks around the nut, and then turn the bar ... it has either a hole at other end for a T bar, or an attached handle.

Very cheap (B&Q sell them)and very useful.

There are also cast iron 1/2" and 3/4" tap wrenches, but the heads are so big that they often won't fit it.

I have both types and the bar type gets a lot more use that the cast iron one - the other big plus is that they fit any size nut ... metric imperial, it don't care.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes