What's wrong with my vacuum cleaner?

It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use the multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it bursts into life. What is going on?

Thanks

Brendan.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Interesting that the incredibly light load imposed on this circuit by the meter's internal resistance 'cures' the fault. As a work-around/bodge and if no one suggests any better, just wire a high value resistor across the same terminals as a short-term fix.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When you say the motor terminals are they the brushes on the motor itself? If so the slight pressure you are putting on them with the probes might be pushing them onto the commutator thus suggesting the brushes might be worn and need replacing. A good indicator of worn brushes is excessive sparking on the commutator.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

No, not the brushes but the terminal outside the motor where the wires are fed from the mains plug and the switch.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Probably the loose connection is right there. You need to tug and tweak at the wires to see if anything pulls out.

Reply to
harryagain

Unplug it and test for continuity on the low ohms range from plug to motor, live side, then neutral side.

Move the flex around where it enters the machine and where it enters the plug as these are the common failure points.

Also there might be an overheat thermostat in the circuit that operates if the motor overheats, I have known these to take 10-15 minuets to reset.

Reply to
Graham.

Bad connection overcome by applying pressure to the terminal?

Do it again but without the meter in circuit (don't short the test leads, obviously).

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

A case of dancing thermostats?

Reply to
F Murtz

The dance is a minuet

the time is minute

Knowing I often get this wrong, I typed minuets into Google and got a page full of time related results. What I missed was that it had taken upon itself to presume I meant minutes, although why it thought plural dances were problematic, I know not.

Reply to
Graham.

Just my attempt at humour. :)

Reply to
F Murtz

No its the physical movement that is the point here, as I say, its brushes or commutator almost certainly If you really want to bugger up a vacuum, try picking up spilled toner with it... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

brushes gone

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looks like I will never know. I can't get anything out of it no matter how I poke or prod. There is no sign of an external thermostat or cut out switch, I don't know if they build them into the motors.

It still shows 240v across the terminals which leads me to suspect it is something further downstream.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Brendan.

Reply to
Rednadnerb