What's the fitting called for a 12V halogen downlighter?

It has spring clips to hold it against the plasterboard, but I'm darned if I can locate one on the web! What should I be searching for? I've tried fitting, mount, spring clip etc.

Halogen downlighters are fitted in all the communal rooms of my house, each one with a small transformer. Replacing the transformer on the upper floor was a doddle, because I could go up into the loft and replace it from there. But downstairs I have to somehow remove/release the spring clips holding the fitting in order to pull the transformer down through the ceiling hole. I thought, if I can find a picture of the dratted fitting, it may become clear how to release those clips.

This is urgent! I now have the third light on the blink in the kitchen and it's deffo the transformer. I have new transformers already (EPH, Spalding), so all I need now is how to access the transformer.

MM

Reply to
MM

Usually GU10 for 230V and MR16 for 12V, or other numbers apply depending on distance between pins, in general called "bi-pin".

Reply to
Andy Burns

The usual way it to remove the lamp and then just gently pull the fitting down.

Reply to
ARW

No, NOT the pins on the bulb or the connector the bulb pushes into. I mean the fitting that holds the transformer. Mine have spring clips that are normally flat and thus hold said fitting tightly against the plasterboard (on the other side of the light).

MM

Reply to
MM

But if you wanted to buy a new one, what would you search for? (Still haven't found one!)

MM

Reply to
MM

You would probably have to buy a new light fitting.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but if you search for MR16 downlighter, you'll probably find some diagrams or photos, or fitting guides on e.g. the TLC website.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Jesus Kerist.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Well can't you look at the ones in the loft to see how they work?

Reply to
harry

It's not very clear what you want to achieve - new clips for an old fitting? - if so, that's unlikely to happen; the fittings aren't particularly expensive, you just need new ones. But there's no reason not to be able to remove and reuse the old ones, by pulling them downwards, as ARW has advised.

AFAIK most of these lamps have a similar method of clipping into place above the plasterboard - eg look at any of those at:

(or
?cm_sp=Electrical-_-ElectricalLighting-_-Downlights). If you do need new fittings, your challenge is likely to be finding replacements that fir the existing cut-outs, as these days they tend to be smaller and more compact than earlier models.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You remove the downlighter as shown here ...

Andy Burns

Maybe these are not available separately? Maybe one has to buy a complete downlighter including the fitting?

MM

Reply to
MM

Yep, that seems to be the only solution, since none of the replies so far has brought me close to what I'm looking for. Next, I'll try YouTube. Failing that, I'll remove one of the loft ones and take a photo!

MM

Reply to
MM

from the loft!

I'm now talking about the ones downstairs.

MM

Reply to
MM

And, also, *where* do I find a replacement (on the web) for the fixture/fitting/doubris depicted in pic3? That is the fitting I meant in my OP.

MM

Reply to
MM

Your kitchen is upstairs?

Reply to
ARW

Are you just wanting just the springs or a full fitting? NB a full fitting does not mean you have to buy a lamp and transformer.

Reply to
ARW

You just take out the bulb so you can get your fingers in and pull straight down on the white bezel. A certain amount of plasterboard graunching ensues and the springs let go. The springs don't look bent in pic 3.

To put it back, just point the long ends of the springs up through the hole, feed it all in until the short ends touch the slightly mangled hole-edge and then push until the springs start pulling instead of pushing back.

It's all much easier than it sounds...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Okay, I've pulled the whole fitting out now. Next question: Why are the low voltage wires on the new transformer fitted with white plastic sleeves on the ends? These can't be simply pulled off. They appear to be crimped on. The wires have obviously been stripped back ready (about 8mm), but the production plant has then crimped on these white plastic sleeves. Are they just meant for protection whilst on warehouse shelves?

MM

Reply to
MM

Er, no....?