What kind of trap for washing machine only?

I'm moving the washing machine. There's no sink or drain where it's going, but I can easily T into the pushfit coming from the bath plug upstairs.

Question is, how do I _connect_ the washing machine? Currently it's connected into the sink waste, e.g. like this...

I need a washing-machine-only trap? I'm looking at the list on screwfix - which one is it? Do I connect directly (like under the sink) or with a stand pipe? If it needs a stand pipe, how does it work under the sink without a stand pipe?

Get ready to laugh. What is a stand pipe?!

Thanks in advice for your help and pity.

I'll have finished all this sometime after Christmas and promise to stop asking stupid questions then!

In the mean time, thanks for all the great advice I've received. This group is worth its (virtual) weight in gold.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Washing machine trap:

dom

A washing machine trap is a J shaped piece of pipe. Yes you should have one, else nasty pongs come out of the machine 24/7.

If the machine's own flexible waste pipe isnt too tight on length, its also possible to just tape it into a J shaped position and not have the fixed trap, but a pipe trap is best used.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , harry writes

Like this:

WMs generally come with a plastic U shaped bit, which fits on the end of the waste pipe to give a nice up turned J shaped to hook over the top.

If you don't have it then just poke the pipe down into the standpipe a bit (not to far, you don't want to create a siphon. A bit of duct tape will hold it in place if necessary

Reply to
chris French

I did this for a "temporary" connection, but it has been fine for 6 months. I cannot see why doing it more permanently could be a problem. I did wonder about stagnant water being left near the machine, but if you use a standpipe type arrangement, there will always be some water left in the machine itself anyway. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

changed to a standpipe arrangement. They're OK for dishwashers though.

Reply to
Mark

Brilliant - thanks all.

(Thanks especially dom for showing me something that was staring me in the face on the same flipping page as the one I'd linked to, but that I'd completely missed!)

The washing machine waste pipe no longer has an "umbrella handle", if it ever had one (I know what you mean - my mum's has one), so I'll probably just stick it in and tape it up like Chris said. Or can it be sealed to the top:

Or could that cause problems by stopping the air getting in at all at the top?

Does the trap have to dip below the level of the pipe that's running outside? Like this...

can _all_ the trap sit above that pipe? I'm assuming it'll still do the job?

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson