What is type of gate?

What do you call a gate in the countryside where the gate itself swings between two posts? One person at a time walks in and stands in the "V", swings the gate towards him, then the exit is clear to go out the other side.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

kissing gate

Reply to
Neil Jones

Man, that is exactly right! Now you mention it, I have heard the term before, and quickly found a picture on the web.

Ta muchly!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I've always heard them referred to as kissing gates.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Glad to be of service :-)

Reply to
Neil Jones

Kissing Gate

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Ditto, and it's a traditional use that t'owd woman and I like to keep up - a quick snog if no-one else is waiting to come through!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Oh! The only one to say that people actually do kill when going through them!

The first person goes through but the second can't have access until he or she kisses the first.

POWER!

I love them.

Mary (you don't have to be married to the one going through first - or second. I've had lots of nice experiences with strangers :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sounds a bit extreme to me.....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hey, if only kissing gates could talk!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

The whole point of these types of gate is to keep the animals in while allowing people to kiss, sorry, pass. (Mary, as per usual, allowed my mind to wander. She's so good at that. Maybe we met at a gate once in a former life.)

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Mary Fisher wrote in

Dying for a kiss?

Reply to
PeterMcC

If so I'm sorry that it wasn't memorable :-)

But I do agree that kissing gates make difficulties for trolls, their little minds simply can't work out how to manage them ... perhaps that's why they have dogs and babies with them, to offer advice.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4118ce3d$0$22314$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

Well, trolls are more at home under bridges their

but no billygoats?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Our local council (Guildford borough) has started putting these up all over the place.

There is a particular example near St. Marthas hill where they have managed to block any disabled access to the whole area (which is otherwise excellent for wheelchair users).

If I don't hear back from the council soon, I'm deciding which would be more fun - go at it with a Husqvarna or tow it out of the ground with my car?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Glad somebody else hates them. If it was nearer I'd lend you a team of cows to uproute the b***y thing, then you coul dput it down to natural causes :-)

Reply to
G&M

So they can get out the same way they came in.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

As somebody else pointed out, local councils have a habit of installing these things on their pathways, in summer of course, forgetting that it isn't only walkers who use the paths. You come to move the animals and ... oh shit, there's a FPITA gate in the way.

Reply to
G&M

What is so hard about leading a dog through a kissing gate? I've seen people do it many times.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Ours knows how to operate the gate itself :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson