What has happened to gloss paint?

Hi

When I've previously used Dulux non-drip gloss it has been quite a thick mixture with little running and the had the aroma of a chemicals works.

Now we've got a lot of woodwork to paint, the new stuff from Dulux runs like Ben Johnson, is significantly thinner and doesn't even smell nice!

It says it can be cleaned by water rather than white spirit, so I presume something has fundamentally changed (for the worse).

Are there any brands which work better at the moment?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Look for the tins with "High VOC" labels on them. The water based stuff is crap IMHO.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

chemicals

Ah but it's safer, good for the environment, bio-degradable, Brussels Approved, cheaper to make. The fact it doen't work doesn't come into the equation!!!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Indeed. Until recently stuff was made just for its quality with no regard for safety or the environment. Now we are more safety/environment conscious there are changes to products which reflect this. This always means a drop in quality. Occasionally a new good product is released (such as Flash Ultimate cleaner). As it is (a) bloody good and (b) clearly a hazard to lungs and breathing, I expect it to be removed and replaced with something pants.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Leyland gloss is good, but no gtee is hasnt just or wont change.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Seconded! Flash Ultimate really works well - gets stains off bogs in seconds but is choking, therefore it will be banned fairly soon.

Perhaps a new label is in order instead: "Not to be used by idiots".

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Are you saying it's EVEN better than Cillit Bang??

Ron

Reply to
Big Ron

The wholewheat dungaree wearing tree huggers have got their way again. Its environmentally friendly, has a low carbon footprint (whatever that is) is kind to insects & nematoads (whatever they are). The fact that is doesn't work is irrelevent.

Bloody world is run by pressure groups :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We had that problem a year or more ago. Suddenly my other half, who does all of the decorating really well, found that she couldn't paint any more. The finish was awful with lots of brush marks. The paint ran and sagged. It was impossible to keep a wet edge when painting large areas like doors.

Erica rang Dulux who fessed-up pretty much straight away. They said they knew about these problems, were sorry that it "wasn't suitable for her application" and offered her money back on the tin(s). We went out and bought "high VOC" and normality was restored - the doors look good now too.

Reply to
Calvin

Much better than Cillit Bang IMHO which is somewhat(!) over hyped

Reply to
Bob Mannix

IMHO non-drip gloss is pants anyway and it's really worth learning how to use something like Dulux "Trade" liquid gloss. You get a much better finish and you just have to learn how not to get the runs (IYSWIM).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sorry, I don't have the original post to quote direct. I thought that I saw two versions of Dulux gloss on the shelves at a DIY store. The "professional" one is indeed water based but I don't remember it being a non-drip paint.

I don't know whether various governments are putting pressure of paint manufacturers to use less volatile compounds?

I used some once and it was very differnt to "traditional" gloss. I have to say that whilst the finish showed some brush strokes, I did enjoy the convenience of washing in water.

The other thing is that it is supposed to be non yellowing. We painted all out interior woodwork in white last year with traditional gloss and it is yellow already. What is going on there?

Reply to
nospam

Nematodes.

Tiny, weeny little worms. They live in soil. Why would you be painting soil?

Reply to
Huge

Not eating too much curry helps.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Maybe Mrs Handyman is of a somewhat military persuasion? If you can't salute it, paint it white.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Heh. No idea, I wouldn't buy Cillit Bang because of that annoying tosser who advertises it. I told 'em so too.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

advertises it. I told

BARRY SCOTT!

Reply to
Dave Gordon

I wouldn't buy it because of the stupid name. What did it used to be called?

Reply to
Andy Hall

message

soon.

It sounds like a miss translation from the Karma Sutra

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The brush marks are made because you are using the wrong type of brush.

When we came to decorate the hall, stairs and landing, I told my wife that I was getting too old to be doing the big drop of wall paper on the stairs and that we were going to have to get some one in for this.

I took of the doors and got some 40's grit wet and dry and gave the doors a good rubbing down. When she painted the first door (it was laid across 2 work benches, it dried with very bad brush marks in it. I went back to the Dulux Decorator centre to ask why. They explained that the new water based paints require a brush that does not have hollow fibre bristles. He produced a display brush that was suitable and proceeded to bash it down on the counter, bristle point first, to show that it would not deform and explained that it did not draw paint into it and would leave no brush marks. It worked :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave