What cable to use for audio (phono) diy connections?

Page 1 of 3
I want to get unamplified sound between my computer & DAB radio (in the kitchen) and my amplifier (in the sitting room). The cable route is about 10-15m and goes through the cellar, so it would be nice to have a socket there as well.
I have bought a couple of double phono sockets from nexxia (http://www.nexxia.co.uk /) and linked them up with telephone wire (which was what I had to hand). Not good. There's a hum, and although reasonably loud music is worth listening to, speech is very distorted.
Now I'm sure there are many things I have done wrong: using telephone wire; maybe using solder (though the sockets have solder tags); I should also mention that the cables connect through a telephone junction box. But I can't find any cable anywhere specified for this purpose (as opposed to speaker cable). What should I use (looking for something cheap, that I can buy by the metre, or in a 10 or 25m reel, either over the net or on the UK high street)? Also advice about a junction box if that's likely to make a difference.
Many thanks in advance,
James
James wrote on Sunday (01/02/2004) :

You will need to use screened audio type cable for this, with the screen connected to the outer of the plugs, two cable runs for stereo. You might be lucky and be able to get hold of some figure of 8 type stereo cable.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

rs components, possibly - 367-561 25m 9.306

willing to pay RS prices on something like that
--
geoff

O well, if the company doesn't pay, then yea :)
writes

I am the company
--
geoff

Harry Bloomfield retched What cable to use for audio (phono) diy connections? onto my recliner:

You might be lucky and Harry might FOAD!!!!!!! YAY!
--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at /
On 1 Feb 2004 12:52:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (James) wrote:

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

In my experience the quality of the interconnections has almost as much effect on the finished sound as does the quality of the speakers. I strongly suggest that you avoid at all cost anything cheap to link these devices.
Do I understand that you are feeding the audio o/p from PC and DAB unit to your amp? Then spend LOTS of money on the cables and connectors (consider gold plated - they're not that dear) and do solder the cables. I expect you'll only want to do this only once!
Unfortunately I can't remember the best practice for audio cable screen connections to avoid earth loops - is it only connect the screen at one of the devices? Doubtless someone else will advise.
Oh and it's www.MAPLIN.co.uk (no 'S')
What's the story with the telephone junction box?
BOL Richard
Connect the screen at both ends, use a reasonably heavy twin screened figure-of-eight able, preferabley the "oxygen free copper" stuff. As Richard has already said, don't try to do the cabling too cheap - you'll end up doing it twice.
Alan.
(James) wrote:

Alan Deane wrote on Sunday (01/02/2004) :

OFC = Snake oil along with the 'antenna boosters' for mobile phones.
Any reasonable screened copper cable is perfectly adequate for this application. Gold plated connectors look good and do prevent corrosion, but then so does perfectly ordinary cheap nickel plating.
Connecting the screen at both ends should not cause a ground loop problem, if the ground is isolated at both ends. If there were a problem, it is usual to isolate the ground at the farthest end from the input. This would mean cutting both ground connections where it connects to your DAB system.
Hint:- Pulling the phono plugs a little way out disconnects the ground connection first, thus enabling the ground loop problem to be easily tested.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Don't listen to this cowboy. He's been on TV you know. Watchdog.
--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at /

geoff

If you happen to have an account with them that is.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

them. I'm sure that you do for the other link - Farnell (CPC's now parent company)
--
geoff

writes

CPC certainly do credit card purchases without an account. Never tried Farnell but they're in the same league as RS- I've done credit card purchases with RS.
-- Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk /
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:15:27 -0000, "Craig Graham"

yet! Anyway, it basically said you do need an account, that's what CPC told me. I currently have a cash account, I can pay by card per order as with any other non account requiring supplier. Erm, I was going to write something else here but it's gone. No, wait a minute....., no, it's definitely gone!!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

Yeah, but "account" is rather meaningless in that sense. When you pay by cash immediately and don't need any references, the "account" they create is little more than a customer number to be used for junk mailing you.
--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk /
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:55:02 -0000, "Craig Graham"

it! ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

What I didn't make clear perhaps is that they simply created the "account" for me automatically the first time I placed a credit card order by phone. No forms needed to be sent in or anything. They call it a cash account, distinct from their normal accounts, and it's no more than a customer record in their system same as most other mail order people have. If you don't have the account number to hand and they can't find you, they just make a new one.