what are the odds on that happening?

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs gone.

Reply to
bof

these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did

different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds

You should do as I do. Wait for the zero crossing point, then switch on ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Huge

Ah thanks, off there now

Reply to
bof

Also available from Toolstation

auctions

Seems like a fair exchange.

Reply to
mike

They're available in many shops. The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Higher than you might think as they were probably not independent events. Due to inherent inductance in the supply (cabling, and some other devices), when the flashover arc terminates in the first one, a voltage spike is generated which would stress the other one, and if it was near end of life, could trigger it to fail too. I've seen this happen too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What, Ms-i-L? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

.....and get into the habit of turning down the dimmer as you switch off - then when you hit the switch to turn them on they will have a softer (dimmed) start, or get a touch dimmer that uses soft start circuitry.

Reply to
John

Damn, I've been hoarding them in the loft like some demented survivalist...

Reply to
Steve Walker

But they are no longer 10 for a quid:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Broke into the goddam wrong rec room this time..."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In my experience it is more likely to be both dimmers blowing than the bulbs. I got so fed up looking for replacement dimmer internals (usually salvaged from the end of line or 'seconds' bins or even dust bins) as not wanting to keep buying brass surrounds all the time, that in the end I just ripped out the dimming bit and used them as nice 'brass' push on and off switches, with ordinary cfl lamps. No more blows since.

spamlet

Same here! .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The odds on "women of a certain age" serving is shops being Ms-i-L must be quite high, yes.

I noticed incandescent bulbs in the local "end-of-line" shop [*] the other day, but didn't look at the price as I have a sufficient stock. I've now got used to fumbling my way around rooms in the gloom on first entering and only use incandescents in places where it matters.

[*] There must be a proper name for this kind of shop -- they have a fairly constant line of household items but augment it with once-only supplies of cut-price things that clearly came from somewhere poaher's closing down sale. They tend to sprout in high streets once the "real" shops have moved into the new shopping centre.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Yes, me too. In fact, I went round the house last year, made a list and bought spares for everything.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

In what way? There's a loophole, or something else?

Reply to
bof

That would be exploding ones, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A couple. Only household ones are banned, those for "industrial use" are still allowed. And the ban only fully effects frosted lightbulbs - clear ones are being phased out over a longer period.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke