What anchors to use for (i) ladder ties & (ii) safety anchors?

I want to fix anchors every metre or so below gutters to tie the ladder when cleaning gutters, splashing Sadolin on the fascias etc.

I want non-expanding fixings as they'll be into soft Victorian brick. I thought I'd be able to use multi-monti eyebolts but they only seem to offer 6x40mm eye-bolts with a 7mm eye which is smaller than I'd like (and the usual suspects don't seem to stock them in any event). I then thought I might use multi-monti studs with hangers but the only hangers I can find seem a bit pricey - eg the Petzl COEUR hanger plates cost around £3 each which seems a bit much. I must be missing the bleeding obvious but what please?

I'd also like to fix a couple of a safety anchors if (probably a big if) I decide to repoint a chimney. I don't need the security of a professional device because I can arrange it so that if I slipped there'd be very little shock load. But, again, I don't want to use an expanding device in to the soft bricks. And just to make matters more complicated, I'd prefer to have something removable so did not go straight for the resin fixings (eg the ones made by Petzl etc for climbing/caving). Would a 100mm multi-monti stud with a decent hanger do me and if not what please?

Reply to
Robin

MultiMonti are a good choice for your application, as they work well in soft brick, and are easily removable.

But think more about length than diameter - you're not going to shear through them - but it might be possible to pull a short thread out of soft material.

They need to be drilled at *exactly* the right size too, and for soft brick that may be 0.5mm under the recommended size for concrete.

As far as adding an anchor point to them, you could use almost anything. Attach a timber plate, and screw whatever to it, or use builders metal strapping (flexible steel strip with pre-drilled holes

- from Screwfix) - you're only stopping a ladder from slipping.

For chimneys, I prefer to put a rope right around the base of the stack, and tie it to the ladder/access tower.

Reply to
dom