Weird phone wiring with new flat - help needed with BT Broadband and master socket

you don't really need one, just do the mods as previously detailed and it will work.

Reply to
Matt

About a fiver. We sell them.

Up to and including the NTE that should not be the case, if they want to charge anyone it should be the previous owner. It is their equipment which is causing the problem as you have an inappropriate NTE for a standard installation, you should not be charged for replacing it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks for confirming - but why would that make my BT broadband not work when I wire everything as i described earlier in the post??

well i took your advice and rang BT - they quoted me £145 minimum charge for them to come on site, take the NTE5(d) out and put a normal NTE5 back in and wire back to normal!!! Is this reasonable??? surely not??

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

I was reaslly disappointed with BT - they said no matter what the previous owner did to the phone wiring, if I wanted them to change back to normal, i would still be charged...

--------------- For some reason my (OE) doesn't seem to be indenting your text for reply, never the less...

An NTE5 costs around 5 pounds. Note that none of those sold will have the BT symbol embossed in the corner, so if the BT engineer has to come out he will see straight away that its not one of theirs and you will be charged to 'regularise' it.

A charge of around 25 pounds has been quoted previously in this group, but I cannot confirm that. Charges appear to be somewhat variable depending on the circumstances, how much time the engineer has to spend on the job, the attitude in the local office, and engineers report.

Incidently my friend (Birmingham) had the BT engineer out because his line was snap crackle and pop, and he wanted to prepare for ADSL. The BT engineer not only flatly refused to fit a NTE5 but put in report that made the office attempt to charge him 300 pounds for the visit. He still has a crackly line, two old master sockets in parallel on the one line, and no NTE5 -another disgruntled BT customer. Why do BT treat their customers so shoddily? - because they are virtually a monopoly. (rant over)

For the Austin Taylor NTE5 product: Make sure you get the NTE5 Model and NOT the CTE5

NTE5 product data, manufacturers sites:
(not all products [inc NTE5 ] available on line)
(not sold retail)

Other telecomms wiring supplier:

ordered some NTE5/a units from Farnell electronics, but CTE5 units were delivered from CPC.

With regard to having to pay to get the wiring sorted.

On the face of it you might think BT would be so pleased to get your custom they would start you off with a new standardised installation. However it doesn't seem to be like that.

Its more like 'you bought a property with all its advantages and disadvantages'. (warts and all) A disadvantage in you case is the previous occupiers telephone installation is unsuitable, and you now require a revised installation. Why would you expect BT to pay for that?

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

Yes please, I would like a small quantity.

I had a look on your site but couldn't see them there so I'll contact you directly by email.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

Are you sure about these. I thought these were called CTE5 - having the input connectors as three IDC terminals rather than the two screws of the NTE5 for the thicker figure 8 wire once used as overhead distribution from poles.

Please advise if BT ever fit a CTE5 type Line Box when the wires entering the premises are the thin type from CW1411 type cable used for underground distribution on modern housing estates.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

Its listed as an NTE5 but as its got idc connections on both sides its clearly not. The original poster only needs the faceplate anyway.

I've never seen anything but a screw terminal NTE used in domestic premises by BT but you'll probably get a more definitive answer in uk.telecom

Reply to
Matt

These are the screw ones (half way down the page):

John Rumm

poles.

And having looked inside the Farnell-CPC NTE5 unit there is no BT type surge suppressor fitted. So these would be quite out of order/unacceptable by BT for fitting as an upgrade to a line where there is no existing BT LIne Box.

I will contact Farnell-CPC about the product which I believe is misdescribed. Meanwhile, best to stick to the RS - 264-8058, Austin Taylor NTE5 /A unit.

As you point out this is for information only as the OP can get away without one by following the previous instructions.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

There is a semiconductor surge suppressor fitted with similar performance to the gas discharge types.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The CPC supplied units are manufactured by Pressac.

I had a look at their site -notable for its scant information- and noticed that the semiconductor surge suppressor you describe appears to be their standard fitting for 'voice products' instead of the old gas discharge devices. Illustration of LJU 2/1A so fitted.

has BT approval.

In my CPC NTE5 (CTE5) sample the semiconductor surge suppressor fitted is manufactured by Littelfuse(Semitron) with part number has part number T10A180E.

68K pdf covers the series, T10A, with other ratings:
it looks like the end for the old gas discharge devices?

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

The price (and performance) of both devices is similar so I wouldn't be too sure :-) The advantage of the gas discharge device is it is well known and reliable. Telecoms designers will always chose well known over new if they can.

Reply to
Peter Parry