Water Softener - kinetico 2020c

having done some research it would appear that the kinetico 2020c is a reasonable machine. Have anyone got any stories that should put me off? If I have a 3 bar pumped shower from tanks in the loft etc which version should I need? Can I use the normal tablets available from Costco and others for sensible money?

Most of all - can anyone recommend somewhere to buy one at sensible money (ideally Herts/Bucks/London else national...(I will fit myself)

Many thanks

John

Reply to
John Durham

In message , John Durham writes

There have been several threads in here about water softeners.

See the thread in the Google archive at

for a quite long one.

Since the tanks will be filled by the softener the actual flow rate of a particular softener will not matter unless you take very very long showers. Nor are you likely to benefit from the double-chamber system that the Kinetico offers.

Not using Kinetico salt appears to affect the Kinetico warranty. :(

After reading the discussions in here I bought the Atlantis. Fitted it myself easily and works fine. It's currently available with drinking tap kit for GBP499.99

Some URL's for you:

of several -
salt deliveries -

NoSpamThanks

Thanks for the detailed response. I have studied the thread you pojnted me towards and am set on a Kinetico - I still have the problem that there seems to be no one out there on line flogging these things which makes me think that this is one of those salesman calls stich up companies. Also, it would appear that the current model 2020c can use block or tablet salt but that still doesn't tell me if they have woken up to themselves and de-restricted the guarantee which buy all accounts requires only their special 'gold plated' salt to be used.

If anyone knows weather the salt type/make is / isnt an issue now that would be appreaciated - also any links to someone selling these as a usit rather then fitted.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Durham

I have one of their earlier models with the separate salt tank. It has been doing an excellent job for coming up to 20 years.

In its early life it ran on granular salt, and is now run on tablet salt.

A little while ago I did a check on pricing for a new softener because I figured that the present one won;t last for ever and I am going to budget for a new one over the next couple of years.

I checked into Kinetico again and they sell through a dealer network. I called them and asked for details of several dealers and sone on-line places. They tried to give me the details of only one dealer and offered to arrange to have them contact me. That was really the extent of their trying to push me into a "salesman calls" situation. Understandably, they want to provide good leads to dealers and maximise the chance of a sale without giving the lead to too many dealers. I simply explained that I don't buy like that and wanted details of 4 dealers preferably with web sites or on-line ordering; and that in any case I didn't need a survey or fitting but would be installing myself.

IIRC, 6 names were forthcoming and three with web sites. I called three of them and all said that they like to sell near to list price and install. Again I explained that this would be a purchase for me to install and I would ask them for their price, indicating that they are in competition with other dealers and I would take their first price. All were willing to play ball on that basis.

I would suggest calling Kinetico and asking for what you want - not what they think that you want.

I checked into that and the current models will take tablet salt. There is a reference to it on Kinetico's web site in the product description. (photo of a block of salt and pile of tablets by the side)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I do. The soft water supply is continuous and the unit is never off line for regeneration. Since we use water at any time of the day or night, this is important.

Not true. The 2020c will work with block or tablet salt and is indicated in the brochure on the web site

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cheers Andy,

You are right - I saw the reference to block or tablet - but didn't want to get into protracted warranty discussions as part of the price negotiation process over whether or not this had to be their tablets....I will speak with them tomorrow on this and as you suggest for a few dealers who are minded to sell a unit supply only (after all I assume even though the fit must be lucrative that there is still something in it for them when supply only)

Thanks for all the help

de-restricted

Reply to
John Durham

In message , Andy Hall writes >d @ s wrote >>John Durham asked

Andy, did I really write what you appear to be contradicting?

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

John,

I have two commercial Kinetico softeners in two of my Launderettes (which use about 7 tons of water a day each), and when they work they are very good - but when they pack up the local dealer / service people are a pain (Waterways in West Wickham) often taking more than one visit to fix a fault. Though they usually get there in the end! Incidentally one of mine was on a 'supply only' basis and I fitted it myself.

The advantage of the Kinetico is that it self meters so only regenerates when a set volume of water is used rather than a set elapsed time, and doesn't need an electrical feed but be aware that they use tablet salt and not PDV (pure dried vacuum) salt. As PDV is also a food substance it doesn't carry VAT but the tablets do so are more expensive. (I have salt delivered at the the rate of half a ton a month!)

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andy - Thanks again - got the kietico 2020c, intalled it and seems to be running...

I took your advice and got a few different dealers - one came up trumpts with a trade price (0.5 the retail)

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Durham

Could you post their details? or mail me off list.

Cheers

Reply to
Pet

That was quick.

Please could you email me the dealer's details...

thanks

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Me too!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

John, Please would you also e-mail me the details of this dealer? Cheers, Rosemary

Reply to
Rosemary

and me too please - are you on commission ???

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

John,

Did you email or post it before?

I don't seem to have details...

thanks

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Did anyone ever get the name of the dealer? Best price I can get is £879 around Herts.

Please let me know if you have the info or better still post it here.

cheers

rob

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to