Painting Over Varnish

I have a bedroom horizontally clad with T&G boards and varnished. I want to paint it Barley White; what preparation do I need to do and is it better to use emulsion or satinwood?

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

I painted varnished cladding in a bathroom, no problem. I sanded it down fairly thoroughly but didn't try to remove all the varnish. Mind you, the varnish was matt, I don't know if this makes a difference. Then I applied an undercoat before using satinwood.

BTW don't believe what it says on the tin of satinwood, believe me, you *will* need an undercoat. If you don't use an undercoat you will find yourself applying layer after layer of topcoat.

Good luck

Andrew L.

Reply to
Andrew L.

Thanks Andrew

What shade of undercoat do you think I should use for Barley White Satinwood - white?

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo