Washing machine plumb in query

Hi, I am taking delivery of a new washing machine tomorrow and will attempt fitting in myself. I have an old machine which was "fitted" by the folks who built in my new kitchen some nine years back and in removing it I found that the waste pipe which runs from the outlet at the top of the machine, runs down to the floor and is connected to an extension pipe which then runs under a half width drawer unit and into the sink unit coming up to the waste pipe connection (spigot). Now we always noticed that the old machine "ponged" a bit from time to time and it strikes me that this was likely due to some water which probably lay in the pipe down at floor level? It was connected ok on the sink waste pipe "above" the U bend so I doubt the smell came from there. Anyway, My new machine has the same "top" of machine outlet and was wondering if it wouldn't be more sensible to just drill through the side of the drawer unit carcass at the rear and feed the waste pipe through and into the sink unit ( after drilling out ) at the top where it would then drop down a bit to connect to the spigot. That would also do away with the "extension" pipe. Does that seem correct? I've checked numerous sites about the layout of the waste pipe position but they all seem to show machines with the outlet at the "bottom" and the pipe runs up to a sink /spigot outlet. Sorry for being so dense but any ideas appreciated. Stuart.

Reply to
srt

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:54:46 -0000 someone who may be "srt" wrote this:-

How big a distance was this up? Was the extension pipe the same diameter as the fitted pipe?

That sounds like a much better arrangement.

Reply to
David Hansen

fitting in myself.

kitchen some nine years back and in removing it

machine, runs down to the floor and is connected to an

up to the waste pipe connection (spigot).

and it strikes me that this was likely due to some

smell came from there.

if it wouldn't be more sensible to just drill

pipe through and into the sink unit ( after drilling

That would also do away with the "extension" pipe.

waste pipe position but they all seem to show machines

That's precisely how mine runs, although I don't need a hole in the carcass because there is sufficient clearance under the draining board for the hose to reach under the sink.

Reply to
Graham.

Well its about 2'6" ft up from floor ( still not metric ) and same diameter pipe So its down from machine outlet 3' - - along floor 2' - - and then up to spigot 2'6" Anyway - - you have both put my mind at ease :) All I need now is to drill out - -and have the new machine :0) Thanks . Stuart.

Reply to
srt