Washing machine query

I realise this is a bit vague, but I have an AEG lavamat washer, about 4 years old, and last year I started to get some thumping sounds at low speeds which disappeared completely at higher speeds. I called in a local engineer about a year ago, and he thought, without looking further, it was probably the bearing. He suggested that, in economic terms, and if it was performing OK otherwise (which it is), we should soldier on with it before having to replace it. We're wondering if this was good advice?

Regards

P J Macguire

Reply to
Syke

Depends on your outlook on such things. I would follow the advice but buy the spare parts ready to do the job when the thing got noisier. ( bearing plus and related water seals). If you are the type that would continually fret about it, then fix it and you know the job is done. Worst case is to just forget about it and then if/when it fails big time you will have to rush round and fix it when least convenient - like when returning from holiday with suitcases full of dirty washing. At the very least, keep an eye (ear?!?) on it and be aware that if it is getting worse you will have to fix it. Some of the above might be different if you would 'get a man in' to fix it. But this is UK.D-I-Y after all so we don't do that EVER!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I dont see how those symptoms could indicate a bearing fault. If the bearings were so shot that they caused thumping at low speed, the result at high speed would be a nightmare.

The most common causes of low speed thump are overloading, which is common, and worn shock absorbers. The latter is very common, and never needs fixing, if you dont mind a bit of thump now and then.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I always thought that 'the bearings are shot' was equivalent to 'irritable bowel syndrome'.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
brass monkey

Are you saying shot bearings are a psychological disorder like IBS?

Reply to
dennis

A couple of checks for failed bearings...

Does the inner drum move relative to the outer drum (other than by rotation)? Try lifting the front of the inner drum and see if it has any movement without the outer drum moving too.

Turn the drum slowly by hand, feeling/listening for rough bearings rumbling. This is easier if you take the belt off, but I don't suggest you bother doing that unless you are already familiar with doing so.

Another possbile cause of the noise can be the drum weights having come loose, or a drum support having come loose or broken.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel