Wallpaper paste.

I am doing a lot of DIY at the minute. I have lost my DIY mate ( parent ...... yes, I have had another bereavement since last year, just before Christmas, please don't go there) , so I am on my own. OH hates DIY as well as gardening.

So, I have paper and I have stripped walls in dining room ( this is because now my walls are not suffering condensation there I can try and get it sorted) . I have cleaned them down and even put a coat of fungicide on the affected bits in there.

I have some old ( about three or four years) wallpaper paste. Its unopened. Completely sealed packets. Is it usable? I cant see a use by date on it. Doing that job this weekend. Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

It's cheap enough, why risk having the paper fall back off for the sake of a few bucks? Oh, right, so you can come back and whinge about it..

Reply to
Harry

No, thats not it at all. I would not whinge. It just seems such a waste to throw unopened packets away if they could be used. As for cheap? if I recall its not that cheap. This was polycell heavy duty and solvite, not wicks own brand.

Reply to
sweetheart

Who mentioned Wickes? I can buy Solvite for £2 a pack. Define "cheap". You're already whinging. Troll off and buy some fresh stuff ffs.

Reply to
Harry

If I were a real troll I am sure most would have figured that by now wouldn't they? I have been around long enough. Accusations are not nice. Are you a troll baiter/ hunter? See a troll round every corner and spoil genuine posters questions ( and those who might answer) .I find they are even worse on those forums where such things happen.

However since you suggest it, I suspect it might not be worth using the old. I cannot get wallpaper paste for £2.00 as you seem to. Obviously I don't have the right DIY " shed" or whatever that is in this area. The paste is likely to cost me at least £4,00 for three litres powder mix

Reply to
sweetheart

It shouldn't be a problem so long as it hasn't had any damp in it.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Well, I'd use the old stuff if it's sealed. It would have gone rock hard if damp had got to it

Reply to
stuart noble

Still a soft powder? When you mix it up, does it behave normally? Use it.

I got some sugar soap recently with something like a 6 or 12 month life on it. And I am convinced that I have happily used stuff 6 or 12 years old. Suspect the date is more for stock control/management purposes than real usage.

Reply to
polygonum

If you don't want people to comment why would you even mention it? Never mind you'll probably be in receipt of yet another inheritance that you won't want to talk about (although you will mention it every other post) whilst still trying to bodge and scrape evrything to last penny.

It is good to hear that you are trying to imporove your home under the bridge though.

Reply to
ferretygubbins

Have you thought of using eBay to buy the wallpaper paste?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Cute :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sweetheart,

Go ahead and use it - as long as there are no hard lumps in the packets, which could indicate damp.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Old paste powder is fine, as long as its not set into a hard lump. Hence the absence of a use by date.

Probably best to keep the discussion to that.

NT

Reply to
NT

Should be fine if its still powder...

Reply to
John Rumm

+1. Perfectly sensible question in my opinion.
Reply to
Newshound

Thanks, I have tried the old stuff mainly because I don't live near a DIY place and couldn't get any new and was anxious to try out the wallpaper. Its stuck , so the paste must be OK.

No, the powder wasn't hard and it had been kept dry.

Reply to
sweetheart

Cos people have a habit of saying things to me!

Never

Like this - usually, you got the money why not spend it! Well because it was never my money is the reason.

Thank you for your concern.

Reply to
sweetheart

Old paste powder is fine, as long as its not set into a hard lump. Hence the absence of a use by date.

Probably best to keep the discussion to that.

Thank you, clear answer to a clear question. I have used it and the paper is still on the wall this morning, so must be OK?

Reply to
sweetheart

+1 to all of that. I'd happily use it if it's still sealed and powdery.
Reply to
grimly4

You would know as soon as you tried mixing it if it were past it e.g. not able to get the lumps out, or it not gelling like it should etc.

Reply to
John Rumm