Polycell wallpaper paste

What has happened to Polycell wallpaper paste? I have been in 8 shops this afternoon and not a one stocks it, unless it is in the 8 roll bags (and only a Dulux centre had that in). What I want is the smaller 5 roll bags in a box.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Can't you just use another brand? As far as I'm aware it's all the same stuff...

Most of the boxed ones are individually bagged inside if you're wanting to minimise wastage (e.g.

the last stuff I used thought note the picture is of the 10 roll bag. The 30 roll box has 6 bags in it).

Athough given you're only looking at ~=A33 for 30 rolls worth there's really no worry about chucking unused stuff away.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

|!On Mar 15, 4:23 pm, Dave wrote: |!> What has happened to Polycell wallpaper paste? I have been in 8 shops |!> this afternoon and not a one stocks it, unless it is in the 8 roll bags |!> (and only a Dulux centre had that in). What I want is the smaller 5 roll |!> bags in a box. |!>

|!> Dave |! |!Can't you just use another brand? As far as I'm aware it's all the |!same stuff...

Made in the same factory, and shipped in different coloured boxes/bags.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Except only Solvite can fix a man to the underside of a plane. I wonder what would have happened to him if it had rained

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In the end I did buy another brand. Its called Beeline and is made in Belfast. It was recommended by a local decorators that is frequented by trade customers. The woman behind the counter said all the pro's use that paste.

Many years ago my father in law warned me off Solvite, as he said it can stain some papers. I ignored him once, to my regret and ended up ripping all the paper off the walls, so as to start again. Ever since I have used Polycell, but I just found it strange that 7 out of 8 shops/stores did not stock it.

On another point, the paper I am hanging, I only get 3 strips out of a roll. the repeat is 640 mm. (25 1/4 inches) room hight is 2630 mm. (103

1/2 inches) Have the manufacturers made the repeat so much longer to prevent us from getting 4 strips from a roll, or am I just cynical?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Use woodchip then, no repeat!! Honestly, some people!

John

Reply to
John

Use woodchip then, no repeat!! Honestly, some people!

John

Reply to
John

LOL Yes, but my next question will be...

How the hell do I get painted wood chip off my walls?

You do not need to reply to this, as I have a good method of wood chip removal. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have painted wood chip to get off several rooms - be nice to know a good way of doing it - easy being a good way :)

Reply to
tester

Equipment required.

A cold room (very important that the room is cold and no ventilation, you have a maximum of 3 weeks to do this, before the weather warms up), & lots of steam. A tiger claw (it is a device that has three sets of spiked wheels are set well out of track, so that they penetrate the paper and make holes, by tearing through to the back of it. Lots of steam. A pinch of washing up detergent. Lots of steam. A scraper that has a ground edge something like a wood chisel and lots of steam. Use the scraper with the bevel to the wall. With lots of steam.

Go over all the wood chip with the tiger claw a few times. Raise the humidity in the room by using as much steam as you can. Kettles, pans of hot water,steamers, or anything that will emit steam will do (keep all doors and windows closed and do not allow anyone to enter or leave).

Before you feel yourself being affected by the humidity, go over the walls with a solution of water and washing up liquid. Wait until you feel that you are in the tropics and then start to strip off the paper. Provided you have left enough paths through the paper using the tiger claw, you should now be stripping paper off the walls as if it was normal paper.

The tiger claw makes the path for the water to get to the adhesive. The water with the washing up detergent assists the steam/moisture to penetrate the paper if there is anything that might repel the water (eg smoke, grease etc)

The humidity wets the walls.

Last time I tried this, I was amazed at how quickly the painted wood chip came off the walls. A tropical room is the answer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think you're making meal of it to be honest. I've never had any trouble with just a standard wallpaper steamer - at any time of year - with the optional use of the tiger claw.

I usually find woodchip comes off in sheets making it a doddle to remove - the backing that's left behind practically falls off with the use of the steamer.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks - one thing I apprciate is what paint over any wallpaper does - makes it a b***h to get off easily.

Reply to
tester

I agree. I don't even bother with the steamer most of the time. Wallpaper is very rarely that well stuck all over and, once you've got a few bits off, water soon gets behind the rest. What I do find essential is a "heavy duty scraper", mainly because the sharp blade leaves you with a clean surface and slices off bits of old filler etc

Reply to
Stuart Noble