wall tile adhesive for floor tiles?

I have a load of wall tile adhesive left over after tiling the kitchen wall and am about to start tiling the floor. Is there any reason why I cant use the same adhesive for the floor tiles. The container just says it is for wall tiles, and does not mention floors at all.

I could imagine that it would not be possible to use floor tile adhesive on wall tiles, as the tiles need to be held in place while the adhesive sets, but wondered if the opposite were true.

Dave.

Reply to
dave.dixson_nospam

No. A quick read of the recent thread "tiling on wooden floors" will indicate the need for a good floor tiling adhesive.

I would recommend Ardex Flex 7001 Timber System for a wooden floor, and Ardex Flex 6001 for concrete.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There are a number of issues here. Depending on the material the floor is made of, drying out to survive foot traffic may take days to weeks. With cement-based adhesives foot traffic will be possible within no more than 24 hours and there at least two quick-setting adhesives which are trafficable within 2 hours. They naturally have a pot life (time from mixing with water to initial set) of about 30 minutes, so mix small batches and only take breaks when you have finished a batch.

ac.uk/~john49/tilefaq.htm

May also be helpful. If you go to the main menu (linked at the bottom), you will find some other FAQs which may prove useful.

John Schmitt

Reply to
john49

Thanks for the help - I guess I will have to buy some more adhesive.

Cheers,

Dave.

Reply to
dave.dixson_nospam

Thanks for the help - I guess I will have to buy some more adhesive.

Cheers,

Dave.

Reply to
dave.dixson_nospam

You need something a bit stronger for floor tiles.

Don't spoil the ship...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seconded.