Vokera Excell 80E overheat problem

Hello! Please can someone help me out with this problem. I have a Vokera Excell 80E boiler which works fine most of the time. The problem is that when I have a shower it will overheat and lock out meaning I have no hot water. It eventually resets itself and starts working again

This problem occurs most times that I use the shower. Sometimes I can be in the shower for 10 minutes and it will be fine, other times it will overheat after a few minutes.

It happens regardless of whether the central heating is on or off at the time. The amount of time it takes to overheat varies but I'm sure if I ran my shower long enough it would overheat every time. I always check the pressure of the system and it is always between 1 and 2 bar. The boiler has a temperature gauge on the front but this doesn't seem to work. The water temperature is not set very high so I do not think that is the problem. The boiler has never overheated due to the central heating being on, only hot water when I'm in the shower.

Any ideas?

Reply to
anon

I forgot to mention that I am using a mixer shower run from the bath taps.

I have been told by someone that this may be due to my shower head restricting the flow leading to the water in the boiler getting too hot. Is this a plausible theory? Does a low flow rate of hot water through a combi boiler lead to overheating?

I am sceptical of this theory due to the fact that the amount of time it takes to overheat varies, and sometimes it doesn't overheat at all.

In a mixer tap does the amount of cold water flowing affect the flowrate of the hot water? I.e. if I ran just hot water through the mixer, would the flowrate through the boiler be higher than if I ran hot and cold taps through the mixer?

If this is the cause of the problem does anyone know where i can buy a shower head with a higher flow rate?

Reply to
anon