visit to US - electricals query

My son is planning a visit to the US soon and would like to take a laptop and digital camera. I know the US voltage is ~110 (50hz?) but no idea about actual plugs needed etc. A few web sites say conflicting things so would appreciate some info from folk who know - ie here. Latest I have is that US plugs are same spacing as eg German round pin - but with flat pins (if that makes sense). If he need a step-down transformer that sounds like a heavy item - any alternative? Run the laptop on the battery pack is ok but of course it'll run down just when needed :-) thanks

Reply to
dave

It's very probable that the power packs will work in the US as they are typically 100 - 240v, check the label. You should find plug adaptors in any high street.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Buy a US adaptor to take.

The other option is to get hold of a mains lead for the PSU which has a US plug on it, if you go out there often. It's less bulky than a UK plug and adaptor.

[step-up transformer?]

I haven't seen a laptop power supply in about 10 years that wasn't auto-ranging covering 100-250V input. I did get caught out by a phone charger once though (I had about 3 that worked with that phone, and I managed to take the only one of them that wouldn't work on 120V;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the equipoment is not dual voltage (which it is very likely to be) then a step-UP transformer will be required, eg

US plug adapters available at eg Argos 982/7459

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Travelling with laptop. Why? If it's a business trip I can see the point, but there are much smaller things to take that can connect to the web without making oneself a standout tourist to get mugged...

Reply to
Adrian C

What he said. I recommend getting a Swiss Travel Adaptor. These are sold in the "duty free" Dixons at Heathrow and at other places. They are pretty well made and will adapt anything to anything pretty much. I've had some of these in almost daily use for nearly three years - often 3-4 times per day in and out of sockets - and they have held up well. There is a fuse in the adaptor body which I think is a good idea but take a couple of spares. There is a version of this product which has a USB charger, so for many types of mobile phones, iPods and all the rest, it avoids having to take the charger.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Use a rucksack with a compartment for a laptop at the back. There are numerous types of these on the market which are also well padded to take other electronics plus water (not through airport security please) and sarnies.

Good brands for this type of rucksack are:

- Kata

- Wenger Swissgear

- Crumpler

Otherwise the laptop can go into a padded sleeve and go inside a larger rucksack or other *carry on* luggage item.

Another option, if there is more camera gear and other stuff is to go for a Peli case. These are made of polypropylene with foam interiors that can be picked apart to fit the equipment. Some come with a built in retractable handle and wheels. They are very tough and waterproof. Of course they need to be checked in because they are too heavy/large for carry on. Most have a place to fit padlocks. If going to the USA, use TSA type padlocks or the TSA will break them on leaving the U.S. Yale make some and I saw them in Focus recently.

With the use of Pelicases keep an eye open for roadies and entertainment industry people in the airport. They use these things extensively, often checking in ten at a time. After a few bevvies on the plane they may not be careful about which they collect from the belt.

On a related note... the "full service" airlines have recently raised their weight limit to (usually) 20kg. It had been 6 or 8 on some for Elfensayftee grounds. All of a sudden, it's perfectly fine to take on 20kg and load it where it can fall on someone's bonce as long as you can lift it yourself. Meanwhile the cheap airlines are staying with as little as 10kg in some cases.

In all cases, make sure that everything is insured without any weasel getouts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

because that's what he has!

Cost costs and um costs. Well he'd not planning to paint a union flag on it or anything - but I know what you mean.

Many thanks indeed for the useful advice. And I'll go ayway and learn my Step Up from my Step Down :-8

Reply to
dave

Come back if you have other questions. I deal with this kind of issue all the time - optimising what goes into which bag, what to take and what to leave and so on.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've seen a few recently - tiny sub-notebook machines aimed at the home or schoolkid market, rather than "travellers".

Generally though, your standard laptop supply works fine and the most you'll need is a new lead with a US plug and a figure-8 on the other.

Reply to
Andy Dingley