Vintage Projects

sort of Vintage Projects, really. Plans from 50s and 60s for things like tools, toys, even archery project

Reply to
Guy King

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:21:19 +0100, Guy King had this to say:

as a bed, a bit of 4 x 2 with a couple of boxes formed around it for toolrest and tailstock. The "headstock" was a large woodscrew, in some sort of "bearing" driven from a government-surplus dynamotor via a large flat elastic band. I even used the prototype to turn crude stepped wooden pulleys for the motor and the headstock to give a range of spindle speeds.

Really a lot more fun in those days than my current Myford Speed 10.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

remarkable site!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

EVEN?

I know lots of people who make their own bows. Spouse made mine (although I bought his from the maker). He makes his own arrows too although he doesn't use bluebell sap for the fletching ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I like the two home made band saw plans, one made out of plywood and the other from 2" pipe fittings, two model-T Ford front wheels and a piston from the same car - those were the days!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Yeah, sorry, it was copied from another site where a couple of resident readers are toxophiles.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

Wonder where I can get a cast-iron sink to make the forge?

Reply to
Guy King

... the days when almost no hobbyist could afford the power tools we now have, so had to resort to such desperate measures as making their own, or in nearly all cases, doing without..

Good job angle grinders werent around then, or that site would be a lot more dangerous.

NT

PS for anyone that hasnt seen it yet, its plans to make your onw: diggers, cement mixers, concrete block maker, lathes, power saws, router, grinder, arc welders, sand blaster, limestone road laying machine, metal bdner, furnaces,

2 ton press, anodiser, etcher, steam engine, conveyor belt, dumper truck, forklift, several tractors, and more

Reply to
meow2222

LOL! I'm not a toxophile but making a longbow isn't rocket science.

Making a good one is a skill which, I believe, can't be taught from a book - although it could go a long way if read by an intelligent craftsman.

On the other hand, an intelligent craftsman probably wouldn't read such a book.

Moight not even be able to read ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Where would be the best place to get the stepped pulleys from? Maybe buying the £30 aldi drill and extracting them?

I was thinking of building a computer controlled router table, anyone seen any plans? The commercial ones are a bit on the expensive side @ ~£6000.

Reply to
dennis

I'd try a scrapward first, of the assorted kind, not cars. If no luck there then the usual commercial suppliers, maybe under 'machine' in YP, or google pulleys. For low power throughput it might be worth gluing and screwing some ply and machining it.

Are you working from someone elses cnc plans, or starting from scratch?

NT

Reply to
meow2222