ventilating cavity walls

HI,

I have just discovered my house has had an air brick added that opens the cavity to the outside and the underfloor void. This is not how the others are fitted and it looks like a bodge rather than planed.

I'm wanting to block the hole into the cavity with urethane foam so it is warmer. Am i ok doing this?

Reply to
philipcosson

What other provision for venting the underfloor void is there?

Usually they're designed with cross ventilation to ensure rot doesn't occur in the floor joists.

I would be cautious about closing off existing ventilation of any sort, unless I could see why it had originally been installed, and why it was now redundant.

Reply to
dom

He's not closing ventilation off to the floor, he wants to close of the ventilation into the cavity, IE sleeve the vent, like the others are sleeved.

To the OP, the others are probably sleeved, usually with slate, but also with bitumen DPC depending when it was built, this one has probably been forgotten about by a clumsy bricky. Block it off with foam or fibreglass, taking care not to allow foam to extrude through the vent to outside as it looks hideous, and not to block the underfloor ventilation.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

That's right. I'll be closing the ventilation to the cavity. I hope that does not cause damp. I think i'll use fiberglass - so i can reverse it easily if i have any problems.

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Philipj.cosson

There are too few airbricks i fear. but absolutely no sign of rot - timbers completely sound. (we have a 2-3 foot crawl space that I have investigated. There used to be 4. Two each side of the 10m square bungalow. One has now been blocked up because of an extention. I'm looking into getting another two added along a third side of the bungalow, but these will need to go down first as the ground level is high (but not over the DPC)

Another thought was to put some electric fans under the floor for active ventilation - any thoughts on this idea would also be welcome (I'm contemplating this because we have just found mould on some of the kids toys and on the underside of our matress - urgen action is required!)

Cheers for your input.

Phil

Reply to
Philipj.cosson