Velux windows

Hello all, Considering the extortionate prices quoted by roofing firms

> to replace a leaking valley and put in a couple of "Velux" type

How is 'Velux' pronounced? For years everybody I knew called them 'vellucks', whereas recent adverts on TV call them 'veelooks'.

-- JGH - Et Ovum Excoxi

Reply to
jgh

The pronunciation you seek is "'kin how much!?!"

(personally I would go with the first option)

Reply to
John Rumm

The company originated in Denmark where it would be pronounced as something closer to 'veelooks'; although it is necessary to have a gobstopper in one's mouth in order to speak Danish correctly.

This is all along the same lines as the name of the operating system, Linux being pronounced as 'Lee-nooks' and defnitely not as 'Lye-nucks'; although that is Finnish, of course. Speaking Finnish requires the consumption of several Vodkas. Even Finns find this to be a requirement before they say very much.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Never have a quick drink with a Finn. You may not get home for a few days.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Mmmm.... To illustrate the point about the relatively small amount of conversation (they say it's shyness) and very little body language and the visits to bars.....

Two Finns are sitting in a bar.

One orders a round of drinks, picks up his glass to drink and says "Kippis" (Finnish word for cheers, etc.).

The other says "Are we going to talk or drink?"

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Swedes say similar things about the Danes. You know when they're enjoying themselves because they fall off their bar stool

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Reminds me. In a couple of weeks time will be the perfect time to visit Tivoli. It's graduation time and the young ladies congregate there in their white sailor suits (presumably to represent purity etc.)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ooops, I seem to be dribbling all of a sudden

Reply to
Stuart Noble