VCR Head Cleaner

Hi folks

Looking for a decent VCR head cleaner. All suggestions welcome to see if there are any I haven't tried yet. :-)

Thanks

Reply to
BigWallop

Unless it's a fancy one I bet a new VCR from Tesco is cheaper than the head cleaner :-)

Reply to
Mike

In article , BigWallop writes

For the best result, take the lid off and do it yourself. Spinning the heads by hand with a piece of clean white paper pressed gently against the drum is a recommended technique. Then clean the capstan, pinch wheel and sound/control heads with isopropanol.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

The first VCR cleaning tape I bought was a cloth one. After having used it, I spent a couple of hours taking the VCR apart so I could use tweezers to remove all the fabric strands caught on the video heads, and never used it again.

Now, I take the VCR apart and use cotten buds with alcohol to clean the tape path and drum surface, but carefully avoid the actual heads. I use a cleaning tape (the type which looks like real VCR tape, but is presumably slightly abrasive) to clean the head surface. You can also get head cleaning sticks. You have to be very careful cleaning the heads though as they are extremely fragile. Clean by holding the stick stationary against the drum and rotating the drum back and forth. Applying force to the head surface in any other direction can easily snap the tiny cores in the heads.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've always found head cleaners to be like a chocolate teapot.

Take the cover off and use cotton buds moistened with isopropanol to clean the head, guides and rotating components in the tape path.

Reply to
Andy Hall

best one I found was the scotch head cleaner, you just play the tape and when the writing on screen is clear and the sound is ok the job is done.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I usually apply a little isopropanol to the paper first, to remove any deposits, then use another piece to "dry" it. It's basically the same method as the paper cleaning tapes... ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I'll second the Scotch. Works well for normal build up of oxide. Got about 30 VHS at work!! Heavy clogging; go for the cotton buds, but don't be too surprised if that's the end of the recorder.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

If you bought it from somewhere like ASDA, and it is still under gaurantee, take it bake as faulty and they'll exchange it for a newer one or give you your money back. Surprising how many people do that !!!!

Reply to
troubleinstore

OOPs and then goes a broken head

Bill