Vaillant diverter valve

We have a (just out of warranty) Tubomax 828e combi (LCD display) and the (electric) diverter valve is acting up. Sometimes it doesn't switch between DHW and CH, even though the diagnostics say it has. What seems to happen is that the boiler attempts to move the valve, but doesn't move it far enough. If it was seized or stiff I'd simply change it out, but if the boiler is turned off, then back on, which exercises the valve, then the valve works quite happily for the rest of the day.

Now, the valve is in stock, which suggests it is unreliable, but I also notice that the board has been updated - anyone know what was changed?

I'm probably just going to swap the valve out, but I don't want to do that and find out it was the board. Neither are cheap... :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

It might also be worth checking that system is free of debris etc. whcih might be jamming the valve.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for the reply, it was drained and refilled a few weeks ago to add fresh inhibitor, might be connected I suppose. I'll take the valve off later and check for anything obvious...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

We had one of these fitted about 4 years ago I think. had the diverter valve tweeked twice, replaced twice. It was definately a manufacturing fault, I believe the valve gradually unwound itself or something. Turning the boiler on and off seemed to fix it most of the time but was obviously a real pain..specially as the thing tended not to work for the morning rush.

The guy that fitted ours also fitted one at a similat time for my father in-law. Exactly the same problem. Took a while for us to convince vaillant it was a problem but then we had a guy come round who admitted it was a known fault. The company that produced the valve apparently changed the spec, and I believe this problem put them out of business...but that could just be the boiler man talking the tail up. Since our final replacement about 4 years ago, we haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't have though you'd need a warranty given this was a fault with the part. If you need any back up I could send you details of the dates/times and possibly some job numbers from my service book.

Ant.

Reply to
ANt

Snip

Thanks, a phone call to Vaillant is in order on monday then.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver