Vaillant diverter valve copy

Found these two versions for the same manufacturer code 252457 here :

?ProductId=P674&Catid=C2I enquired and was told the cheaper one is a copy. Not seen it advertised anywhere else. Has anybody else fitted one ? Any comments ?

Reply to
Jethro

If the boiler is out of guarantee and not being used in rented accomodation then you might as well try the clone. The worst that could possibly happen is that it wont work and will leak. Most likely it will work fine.

Abcotuk have a surcharge for non registered customers. Evenso they are still cheaper than most other places if they have the part you need.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Using Google Groups I saw you had replied before I read your reply (if that makes sense). I had already made up my mind that if you advised against, I'd bite the bullet and go original - such is your reputation here :-)

Thanks for the reasoned advice

Reply to
Jethro

For saving £20 it is not worth it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Intuitively I'd agree. However, having had some copy parts outlast originals, and given the damage associated with tha risk of failure is minimal, I think it's chance worth taking.

When the heating element on our oven went 6 years ago, I replaced it with a cheaper substitute. It lasted 3 years then burnt out. Feeling a little cheated (as I'd had the thing since 1994 and never replaced it before) I decided on a proper Ariston element ... ISTR the price difference was about 50% Burnt out after 2.5 years. I decided that since it takes about 10 minutes to change the thing I may as well buy a cheapie in future.

Reply to
Jethro

Interesting that the replacement says fully serviceable. If that means all spares are available for it (at reasonable prices) it might well be a better bet than the original. Price isn't much of a guide these days - especially if one is supplied via the boiler maker who will add their markup. They both seem expensive to me considering what an 'ordinary' three port valve costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Spares are not priced but what they cost to make but by other criteria. Although these function as a 3 port diverter valve. They use very different technology and units sold after 2003 seem to be reliable.

The standard 3 port valve uses a 4W synchronous motor, clockwork reduction gears and a rubber ball on an eccentric level as the plumbing part.

The vaillant unit uses a stepper motor, a threaded shaft and a rubber ball.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Its not at all the same as a three port valve, it has a diaphragm and plunger inside a machined brass casting.

Reply to
geoff

Ah right. I did wonder looking at it. So similar in principle to a car ICV? Presumably the boiler supplies the pulses to operate it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. When the firmware boots you hear it calibrating the diverter valve "da-da-di-di-da".

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm a bit behind the times here it would seem

Reply to
geoff

You are right Maxie. It is di-di-da-da-da-da. Makes your foot tap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On your test rigs what do you connect to the diverter valve driver? If you put a suitable valve or steeper motor you'd know exactly what I meant by da-da-di-di-da.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

its not a pcb I have a test set for yet

Reply to