uPVC Replacement

Getting a quote for some new windows. We have a window at the top of our stairs. We have never opened it. It is even hard to reach the handle as the stairs drop away and double back.

One fitter suggested a bottom opening sash so we could reach the handle.

I am wondering if I could just make it a fixed window as this would be cheaper and would give a bigger area of glass.

Would this be illegal in any way?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I bet you'd have a damned good go at opening it if it was your only means of escape in a fire! Does it open onto e.g. a flat roof, do any other windows?

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

That does say "should" rather than "must" ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Including placing a glass breaking hammer within easy reach?

alan_m

It does not open onto anthing - other than the ground. Two berooms open onto a sloping roof. They open as an escape.

The height of the landing window above the turn in the stairs would make it a difficult choice for escape. Fove other windows give a better option as you could get up onto a bed to climb out.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ah! 1m 30cms above the stair that abuts the wall below the cill

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That explains why my neighbours windows need you to be flat and narrow to get through them then. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff