uPVC plumbing oddity

I notice you can get external AAVs in white, grey, and black (from FloPlast).

You can get 110mm uPVC soil piping in white, grey, and black.

But you can't get the cast-iron to uPVC adapter in white - just grey or black.

And the only thing which looks worse than mismatched colours, is painting (or trying to pint) grey uPVC white.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Paint the cast-iron black?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, we're having white pipe, and white AAV. Following sage advice on this very forum, rather than digging up the cast-ironsewer join, I will chop the cast-iron off about 6" above the ground, and join to that.

In grey :(

Maybe some strategically placed planters will keep SWMBO happy.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In the days of high volatiles gloss paint, you paint PVC with gloss top coat only - no undercoat. The top coat solvent-welds to the PVC surface, so it isn't ever going to come off.

I have not tried painting any PVC since the low volatile gloss appeared, so I don't know if this still works as well. I think I still have an old can of high volatiles gloss paint for the purpose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is white UPVC pipe suitably UV stable for outside use? I thought that only black and grey were? Just a thought.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Our white guttering is a good as it was 15 years ago ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes but guttering is designed to go outside. And white cladding similarly is UV stable. I thought (rightly or wrongly) that white soil pipe was for indoor use just as orange is for underground and not to be used above ground.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've got a white overflow pipe poking outdoors. On a south facing wall. Seems to have survived some 20 years ok. More than can be said for black PVC guttering which goes brittle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I see a lot of white 40-50mm pipes outside - they seem to survive too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's interesting as I have some 40mm white outside and that has both yellowed and formed a crazed surface which harbours dirt. I think I fitted it around 1985. The plastics might be better now.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

*cough* 1985?

Well that's not too bad...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I fitted some 40mm white in 1994 and last week it failed! I think one of the sons knocked the pipe but it just broke off nearly flush with the wall (spit). The bits sticking out from the break were a bit friable.

Reply to
Bob Eager