Unwelcomed panel fence

Got a wooden panel fence up along the length of the garden. Previously it was all open plan which made life easier.

So what can I put up against it? Ivy? Feel free to use a bit of imagination.

Am I allowed to put anything on it? Bird feeders, hooks for tools?

I wouldn't want to be responsible for wittingly using anything that might shorten its life.

Cheers

Reply to
BillL

"BillL" wrote

Is it on your property or your neighbour's? If it's the latter you can't legally do anything at all.

John.

Reply to
John

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you live in an amazingly sheltered part of the country then next gust of wind will probably shorten its life terminally.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Dynamite? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Russian vine - pretty white flowers.

Reply to
alan_m

If your neighbour put the fence up, legally nothing. But: Loads of them plastic butterfly and Ladybird things from the Pound shop. You get two for a quid - but not at this time of year. They last very well and look dead good, well, a bit pikey but so what. If your neighbour don't like it, tell him to f*ck off.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

But you do not put ivy up against it. You plant it at the bottom of it and let nature take its course.

And it will strengthen the fence.

Reply to
ARW

Chav.

Reply to
ARW

Ivy will eventually full it over.

I had clematis at a rented house and that was not bad... Needs a bit fo help to stay on - few wires or some trellis.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Cursitor Doom scribbled

Keeping the posts well watered speeds up the process.

Reply to
Jonno

Astute. I have very nice gardens. I do not live in a council hovel.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In message , BillL writes

There are all manner of plants that could be trained to hide a fence, but will take time. Clematis, ivy, honeysuckle. They will, though, grow through the fence as well as up it. The tiniest gap will allow tendrils to poke through. Your neighbour will either hate them, or enjoy them.

Reply to
News
    • R
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

:-)

Reply to
Ri©ardo

The concrete posts on my fence lasted more than 60 years before they needed replacing.

Reply to
Nightjar

Now there's a mischievous post! :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

You beat me to it:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Ah - a quick google leads to lots of things that if I'm careful I won't do

Though for those that risk it there also appears to be potential for legal liability for any damage caused.

Reply to
BillL

I would plant ivy to grow up the fence and plant nice shrubs along the front of it. But that is just me:)

Good luck with what ever you decide:))

Reply to
Ophelia

Choose a variagated ivy since they are less vigorous and not as much trouble to look after. You will get plenty of ivy seedlings anyway.

Hydrangea petiolaris and climbing roses are nice against a fence.

Reply to
Martin Brown

So you don't get variegated Russian vine :(

Reply to
BillL