Unusual ballcock washer

I went to fix a dripping loo overflow recently but the ballcock washer - the type that's about an inch diameter with a raised central area - had a thicker central area than usual so a standard washer was not going to work. Any suggestions about what this washer might be called?

Reply to
NoSpam

These are quite standard Dave but I don't know of a name. As a stop gap i have reversed the washer to use a new face as a seal. Any plumbers merchants will have them.

Happy Christmas!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob. That's what I thought too - but the standard washer is about 5mm too thin in the central area and the old one can't be reversed because the central area is thicker on one side than t'other. I'm beginning to think it might be easier just to change the whole valve. (I'm more looking forward to the happy new year - early retirement in 3 months!)

Reply to
NoSpam

Hmm! The ones I know are possible only about 3-4mm thick in the centre and a sort of combination of a washer and a diaphragm. Whilst the section is asymmetric, they do work back to front. Sound like you may have something different. I'm gradually getting rid of them in my house and going back to 'proper' Portsmouth pattern ball valves.

Good luck with the retirement - best thing I ever did - apart from getting a good job in the first place which pays a good pension!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I generally is easier to change the whole valve, especially if its side entry. IME when you fit new washers they tend to drip annoyingly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman