blimin foam washer (loo)

new toilet with a foam washer between bowl and cistern this morning there is a nice puddle about the loo on the new laminate floor (arse!) Inspection, suspects the foam washer is the culprit

Checked its tightly screwed down, no more movement there as the ceramics are touching all round Do I leave it to settle down, or do I pull it apart and fix with suggestions from the group?

Reply to
Vass

Liberal application of Plumbers Mait.

The Medway Handyman

TIA

Reply to
Vass

Indeed!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They aren't reusable as they deform. Maybe yours got deformed in the packaging? A sealant shouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed - I've installed maybe 8 close-coupled toilets with this type of coupling, and have not needed sealant once.

Reply to
Grunff

Have a real good look to see if its leaking from somewhere else a that foam ring is rarely at fault. Its not a "pressure" seal. Dry everything with some paper towel, dry your hands and then run you fingers around all the joints and see if you can find the leak. Als you can get a lot of condensation on the cistern in a warm bathroom an that can leave a puddle. Have you checked the soil pipe joint? Have yo used a "multikwik" type connector? if so check its the right size an on fairly straight. Good luck

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

unscrew, prop up with matchsticks, stuff with silicone, remove matchsicks and screw down till it squidges out , clean up, wait 24 hrs and tighten a shade more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hah. In an ideal world where china never shrinks when its pulled out of he slip moulds and isn't manhandled before its fully dried and fired, maybe.

I have yet to see ONE piece of sanitary china that is flat, true, the same as another example, of the supposedly same make and model, or free from some flaw.

I took advice form a plumber of long standing "throw away all the sealing stuff and buy better, or use silicone to gap fill everything: That's how I avoid getting called back to fix leaks".

Toilets start out crap, and get crappier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

twas the ceramic spillage "inside" where the flush unit sat. The rubber washer had no chance agains the hills of hard ceramic spashed all over the inside Plumbers Mait sorted it

Reply to
Vass