Vax for cleaning rough slate floor?

Hi, had a new rough rustic slate floor laid, but its a bugger to mop if you have 3 large dogs paddling over it!

I need something that will spray the floor with water, brush it to agitate the dirt and suck the dirty water up. Can anyone suggest something suitable?

Do those upright Vax machines work with hard floors?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

There are such machines, like the Numatic 'George'

the best results are from mopping the floor & using the wet vac to pick up the water.

I dont think they work properly on carpets!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No. Those don't have the rotating scrubbing brushes.

I wish I knew where to get one...because I have this same problem....

Ah..here we are

online at £850 elsewhere..

Mopping? MOPPING?

I tip a bucket of soapy on it and go over every inch with a scrubbing brush

No. They don't.

They WILL take MOST of the wet off after the scrubby bit though, but they are heavier to lug around than a squeegee mop.

Hint: Best squeegee mops are from boat chandlers used for swabbing decks.

In short, pay through the nose for the real McCoy, or buy a scrubbing brush and a squeegee mop.

In between is no bloody use.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

> Available online at £850 elsewhere..

That isn't the right tool for the job. Its a self contained carpet extractor with a 'kit' for hard floors. Same thing as an electric drill with a 'circular saw attachement' as we used to have. More trouble than they are worth.

What you really need is one of these

a combination scrubber/dryer. But since you dont have the £900 + VAT you need a compromise.

Which would be a rotary floor machine

and a wet vac. Similar in price when you buy both.

Yup MOPPING. A much underated technique. A good Kentucky mop with a decent wringer bucket is a wonderful thing.

The George will spray cleaning solution onto the floor, the head has a brush strip so you can scrub manually, and you can then remove the loosened soiling with the vac.

Soiling on hard floors needs cleaning solution/agitation/removal. George can do that with a bit of graft for £150.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is that the kind that school caretakers used to have? Is it mandatory to use Jeyes with it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is it a PITA to mop beacuse it's so rough that bits of mop get ripped off? If not it's a slate floor FFS, get a mop bucket and a proper mop. Slosh water onto floor, rub with mop, squeeze the mop in the mop bucket, repeat from the rub with mop point. Depending on how muddy the floor is another slosh with clean water might be required as a rinse.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nah! School caretakers know jack shit about cleaning floors. Dolly mops were the problem. Maggie introduced compulsory competitive tendering to destroy the old system of school caretakers and/or hospital domestic managers. The free market introduced the contract cleaner.

The contract cleaner still knew jack shit about cleaning floors. They just knew how to earn a profit whilst not knowing and still used dolly mops.

A decent wringer bucket

with a Kentucy mop
will clean just about any floor superbly given the correct technique.

Jeyes Fluid has its place, but it isn't for cleaning floors.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Who's that bloke looking pensive supposed to be? Apart from looking a complete wazzock, that is.

Reply to
Guy King

It must be tough, being phoned by the modelling agency and told they've got a day's work. Levis? Old Spice? Calvin Klein? Grattan Catalogue ... Kentucky mop.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

I'm sure one of the Muppets would have suited the part better.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes it is slate and it is rough and heavily textured. Somat like this..

mop doesn't clean it very well...FFS...hence the question.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy