Slate Floor Scrubber/Cleaner

I have just laid a large slate floor area (appx 75 sqm) I am looking for advise on some sort of floor scrubber or cleaner. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers
Iain
Hi Iain

You have a few options open to you - is the floor smooth or textured? Sealed or natural?
What sort of traffic? Is it a commercial or domestic area?
Give me some more details and I should be able to help - 30 years in the cleaning industry!
Dave
Dave
It is a sealed textured slate.
Heavy domestic use.
Cheers
Iain

Hi Iain

For that sort of area I'd use two methods, both of which are based on mopping. Too small for a machine to be cost effective.
You need a decent mop & bucket system - avoid this type http://tinyurl.com/dqeay they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.
You want a bucket with a proper wringer http://tinyurl.com/8yahs and whats known as a 'Kentucky' mop. Heads & handles sold separately. You won't believe how good a decent mop, bucket & wringer can be.
Light soiling use 'damp mopping'. Water & detergent in bucket, dip in mop & wring it so it's just damp. Go ALONG edges first (unless you want dirty skirting boards), then fill in middle using figure of eight stroke. Rinse & wring mop often.
Shifts a remarkable amount of dirt, much faster than you expect & very quick to dry. The banded mop heads go in the washing machine when mucky.
Heavy soiling use 'wet mopping' same mopping system plus a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. Dip mop in solution but dont wring it out, soak floor in water/detergent & leave for a few mins. Pick up dirty water with wet/dry vac. Whiz over with damp mop to remove the odd streak.
I used the latter method to keep a youth club floor clean (300 kids in winter) for years. Almost as good as machine scrubbing.
Look in Yellow Pages for Janitorial Suppliers. They can also supply a decent detergent - ask for floor maintainer or a neutral floor cleaner.
Hope that helps.
Dave
Excellent Dave, thanks for all the info.
Cheers
Iain

&
&