dripping overflow

I frequently get a dripping overflow from the pipe exiting my cold wate

tank(flat with water tanks feeding h/w immersion type cyl. & g.c.h system) When I flush the bath/r. toilet it will sometimes stop However I have just noticed that the back wall of the of toilet bowl i wet. Would a faulty seal in the toilet cistern cause overwork of the ballcock in the water tank & lead to the frequent dripping? I hav already tried to bend the lever arm in the tank

-- mikehh

Reply to
mikehh

If water is dripping from the ball valve such that the water level in the cold water tank rises and causes water to run out through the overflow, even when the valve appears to be closed, then a possible cause is that the washer or diaphragm in the valve is worn. Bending the lever arm doesn't always stop a worn valve from leaking. Flushing the toilet will cause a temporary fall in water pressure in the cold feed to the tank so could explain why the dripping stops. If the washer/diaphragm is worn then the only cure is replacement of the washer/diaphragm, or it is sometimes easier to replace the whole valve.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

And it doesn't cost a lot, less than £5 as I recall.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

No: if the WC valve is leaking you'll get water dripping or running from the WC overflow (which is not joined to the tank oveflow I assume).

If the tank valve is dripping that's your problem and you'll need a new washer for it though I usually replace the whole valve (they're cheap enough and in this area valves are usually encrusted in limescale). Make sure you fit a brass 'part 2' valve. It's sometimes easier to unscrew the body of the existing valve and replace it with the body of the new valve rather than undoing the threaded tail which goes through the side of the tank.

If it's not this valve that's leaking and the water level in your central heating header tank is higher than the level in your supply tank then you've probably got a leak in the heat exchanger coil in your hot water cylinder.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Modern toilets often use the flush output (Pipe but there isn't one on a close coupled WC) as the overflow pipe. Also a modern toilet with a dump valve may leak, and drip into the pan. That cannot normally happen with a traditional syphon.

Reply to
<me9