Underfloor heating

is
It is the rate of cooling that makes a body comfortable or not. Nothing to do with physics.

"The physicist's greatest tool is his wastebasket" A. Eins.

The body may be a complex biological system but thermoregulation and factors associated with it still depend on principles of physics in order to operate.
Of course in your case this may be different, since you are able to travel through time etc.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

how
any
Nothing
Yes. We all know that.

I can?

which
body
made.
You do realise the physics is a science that deals with matter and energy and their interactions, not one of the Mr Men gone so bad he should be avoided at all costs?

I certainly do.

energy
Go away! What How Thing Work book did that come from?

IMM wrote:

I can't (yes, I suppose I can actually) believe yu wrote that.
What pray, is physics all about of not such things as the rate of cooling?
I know you have no education, but shouldn't that make you keep your big mouth shut rather than jumping in and getting both feet stuck up your arse?
Andy Hall wrote:

You have to larf really. He despies education because he has none. He talks about things as if he understood them, when he doesn't. He even believes in Nu Laber drivel.
He is the perfect model of a modern political society.
Sort of teh brash self confidence of teh Thatcher generation with teh ideoligical propaganda of Nu Laber all in one pakage.
A Little Englander to the core.

Is this the logic the snotty taught you?

IMM wrote:

No. I rather think I got it from you.

what
Don't get a job in Iraq then. Did you see they had 50 C??? How could you hack that? It's 22C here tonight and I'm boiled.

I lived over there for a while. The dry heat makes it bearable. You get used to it.

SC wrote:

Humidity.
37C and say better than 30% humidity is as uncomfortable as 50C and <5% humidity. Been in both. Tropical rain forest and arid desert.

He has a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering and majored in HVAC. Your qualifications are what exactly?

If you think it is inaccurate please explain how the surfaces in a room can have a temperature greater than the air temperature with a blown air system.

To never more than the air temperature and for exterior walls usually less.

I don't think you really understand it at all. How does insulation help?

I can certainly see that.

I agree, it does matter quite a lot doesn't it.

I see, you have no idea if you will be returning to the house at all, if it will be at 10:00, 13:00, 17:00, 20:00. Each day is totally new - some you are in all day - others out day and night. I suppose being an emergency plumber does have its down side.

Do the sums. The difference is not terrible great.

That doesn't leave much else to make a living with.

If I understood what you were trying to say I might be able to comment.

Oh dear.

Only in catalogue land. The great advantage of slow reaction systems is the controls can be really simple _if_ the design is right in the first place. If on the other hand the designer doesn't believe in physics then I agree more complex controls will compensate to some extent for the basic design errors they will make.

I have never had to add to the heating but have certainly had one or two days in the year where we have opened a window or two. It doesn't detract from the overall comfort of the system for the remaining 363 days of the year.

It s been a "fad" for the last 15 years at least. (actually the last 2000 odd to be more precise)

And you have experienced ?

An assortment of far better qualified people than you including engineers (not fitters) from the manufacturers have said it is well designed and installed.

I was suggesting a more appropriate heating system for people who cannot add 3 to another number and come up with the correct answer.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

rates
One certainly could. I couldn't.

Go on - don't be shy - tell us.

So you agree that with blown air systems the surface temperature of interior surfaces will always be equal to or below air temperature?

Mean radiant temperature is simply the area weighted mean temperature of all the objects surrounding the body. It will be positive when surrounding objects are warmer than the average skin temperature and negative when they are colder. It follows that hot air systems, which cannot produce surface temperatures higher than the air temperature will therefore require higher, not lower, temperatures than radiant systems to achieve similar levels of comfort. Radiant heat has a high MRT. Hot air has a lower MRT, it is inescapable.

It is simply basic physics and physiology, nothing magic or complicated about it.

no - which is why fancy controls are not usually needed.

If he doesn't understand the physics of heat loss and gain how then does he design it?

Is it?

Of course - because developers want the cheapest quickest and simplest systems they can stuff in their little boxes. Quality is not an issue.

Most of my houses were not army houses.

and never lived with the consequences of any, like most plumbers.

If you care to let us know your qualifications and experience I'll compare them for you. I'm interested to know you consider yourself to be better experienced and qualified in these matters than the manufacturers senior designer is.

It was, he doesn't.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
wrote in message> >> >> With blown air systems the radiant temperature of all surfaces must

That is obvious. Once warmed up, equal to.

Some
than
of
is
Not quite right. Some surfaces reflect radiant heat and may not be warm at all. This is where MRT is confusing. It is merely not just surface temperatures of objects.
< snip misunderstanding of MRT and forced air.

regarded
It is not totally complete and reliable.

You haven't a clue soldier boy.

levels
Oh my God. Stop reading those How Things Work books.

So you said/implied.

in
If UFH sells they will put it in.

Not a plumber soldier boy.

No thanks soldier boy. You don't know enough.

Balls!! It was not!!!

Lets see If I've got this right, you of indeterminate, indeed if any, education training or experience wish us to believe that you know more than the senior designer from the manufacturers of the equipment installed and a number of qualified experienced heating engineers (two of whom were M Eng Chartered Building Services Engineers, both FCIBSE). These people spent a considerable amount of time working on the installation yet you, who have never seen it, know more about it than they do ?
This seems a bit improbable wouldn't you agree?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/