Whistling underfloor heating

We've recently had a 'Continental' brand under floor heating system installed which works very well indeed, however at times it whistles!

The noise emanates from the mixing / temperature setting valve on the manifold and is at a very high pitch (top of the audio spectrum). If I slightly adjust the setting, the noise stops, until (presumably) it comes back to the new set point, when the noise starts up again. Has anyone else experienced this with their system? I am about to contact the manufacturers, but would like to be armed with more information if it is available.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Some ordinary valves do this, its a kind of hiss with an hf whistle. I always put it down to the restriction at the valve as its altered causing turbulance in the water. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh yes I'm sure that you are right - it's classic feedback oscillation. And I'm equally sure the solution is to increase the damping on the valve, the problem is how, as it's a sealed module as far as I can tell.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Is it possible the valve has been installed incorrectly, with the water flow reversed?

I understand that some TRVs whistle if fitted to the return side of a radiator.

Reply to
Graham.

I had the same problem but now it's cured, try these first

Phil L

Nice one. My wife has a similar solution in that she's lost her top register hearing and can't hear it. The dogs and I can

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No the plumber checked that today

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Maybe it's happy ;)

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Without being anglegrinderish, have you considered, or is it possible to clump it with a plastic hammer?

This can knock this irritating sort of thing into a different position and shut it up for a while.

Reply to
Ericp

Can you try changing the pump speed? many have a three position electrical speed control, nicer ones have a bypass valve in the water path to give analogue control of flow.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Did you ever find out the cause/solution? We have just installed underfloor heating and the whistling is driving me mad

Reply to
chickpee101

Did you bury Roger Whitaker under your floor?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or Kaiser Bill's Batman

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That was Whistling Jack Smith, who I understand did not really exist as an act. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff