Underfloor heating

We're getting towards having to buy the kit to install underfloor heating. We have 120 m^2 of floor to heat and as previously mentioned it's out intention to use a thermal store with inputs from solar, wood burner and an LPG boiler.

I think we have this more or less worked out and we were planning to use pipework at 200mm centres for the underfloor heating[1] with an 8 port manifold. I think we'll also simplify the job by getting some of that template material to lay the pipe into before screeding.

Can anyone think of anything that I particularly need to look out for when ordering the pipe, manifolds, valves etc? We're intending to get a thermal store fitted with a mixer valve for the UFH so presumably no need to have a an over temperature shut off valve on the flow to the manifold?

[1] The house is in Italy remember so I think 200mm would be OK, unless someone can think of a reason to reduce the spacing.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Hi Steve

I've used the red template trays and they work very well!

My underfloor heating is half installed and I was thinking of adding a thermal store with various inputs.

I'm very interested to know what make and model of thermal store you went for?

Regards - Lightman

Reply to
Lightman

We're still dithering between a 250 litre thermalstore from Newark Cylinders and a solar heatbank from DPS.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That should give you about 50W/sq meter OK..I have full compliant insulation and that spacing its just enough left on 24 hours with -5C and a wind all day..Use as much underfloor insulation as you can fit. ESPECIALLY with a suspended concrete floor.

I have to say I used reinforcing mesh under the screed anyway - needed it for strength, and used cable ties to lace it too that.

It took no time at all.

I followed Polyplumb directions.

- no joints in the pipes at all.

- No circuit more than 100meters most less than 50 meters

- pressurisised the whole thing to 4 bar before AND DURING screeding.

Apart from a motorised valave that stick on, and causes a turkish bath one day, its been faultless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just remember that 200mm will be relatively uneven in heat distribution compared to closer spacings. This may or may not be a problem.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In a screed, it was noticeable when I laid some self levelling..you could see exactly where the pipes ran as it dried out ;-)...but in use, with tiles over, or laminate, its pretty hard to tell with the bare tootsies where the pipes are..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher