Underfloor heating

Anyone know about electric underfloor heating. I am an electrician and install quite a lot of systems, but I'm not convinced it can work as a main source of heat, particularly in a conservatory. Does anyone have any figures for heat loss rates in conservatories?

Thanks

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Biddle

Where, Alaska or Georgia, London? What kind of floor? What's under the floor? What insualtion under the floor? What insulation in the building? What kind of glass? How much glass? (I assume when you say conservatory, you are referring to what we call a 'gree house'...)

Reply to
PeterD

It's a double glazed extension on to a house in England floor is 4M x 4M roof 3M high floor covering ceramic tiles with electric element underneath. The element is set to 30C max. My concern is whether a ceramic tile with an underside temperature of 30C can heat the air in the room to 23C with an outside temperature of 0C ie temperature differential accros tile 7 and inside to outside 23. Floor area 16 sq M outside surface about 52 sq M glass has U factor 1.1

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Biddle

You need to know how many watts/sq meter also. Are you sure the U factor is 1.1? I can't even find a listing for a double glazed window that poor.

Just by comparison to my heated tile bathroom, I doubt it will heat enough. I keep my tile at the same temperature (although it will go much higher). The room is toasty warm but I have a small amount of forced air heat and all the walls are R 17 with only a small window.

By comparison, your huge glass area only has a R value of 0.9 if the U factor is correct. At best it would only be R 3 or so anyway.

DT

Reply to
DT

Good job DT, I was just about to ask what the watts/sq meter was too... Also, what is under the tiles (cement?, but is there any insulation as well?)

Reply to
PeterD

Radiant heat works differently. You're not trying to heat just the room air. It's a different heating mechanism. Easiest thing to do is to contact a manufacturer and have them tell you what you need to heat such a space to whatever comfort level you need (this is different than what you might desire due to the different heating mechanism), then compare that to what you have.

RicodJour