undercupboard lights - fused connection

Hi. I want to add 2 undercupboard striplights in my kitchen, the one

that plug into the ring main. We don't have many sockets spare though.

There is a fused connection unit already in there, but it isn't used ( think it was for the old security light outside the window)It is alread wired in but with no fuse in it The fuse slot says use a 13amp

My question is, can I wire these lights directly into the ring main vi this fused unit, if so what fuse should I use (presumably whatever fus was in the plug attached to the lights when I bought it) and if i takes a lesser fuse than 13amp, is it ok to put say, a 5amp fuse in th fused socket marked 13amp?

Hope that makes sens

-- chopster

Reply to
chopster

chopster said the following on 23/01/2006 10:20:

Yes

, if so what fuse should I use (presumably whatever fuse

The fuse slot says it is rated at *up to* 13A. You can put any size of fuse up to and including 13A. You should only need a 3A fuse for a couple of under-cupboard lights.

Reply to
Rumble

Is it also switched? Switched would add a level of safety when it comes to changing the tubes. The switch (if any) in the fittings will almost certainly only be single pole. A switched fused connection unit will be double pole.

It's marked at 13A as the maximum. You can put any size fuse in it up to 13A. A couple of small flouries will probably be happy with a 1A fuse, though I expect they will be fused in their plug tops at 3A.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to both of you for the replies. It puts my mind at rest. I am competent person, but like to double (and sometimes triple)chec everything before I do something like this. I probably wouldn't put new socket into a ring, but as this FCU is already there, it make sense to make use of it. Also my wife didn't want plugs and wires goin up to the underside of the cupboard (fussy I know, apparently wire should hang down, it looks neater?????) but as we are about to replac the tiles on the wall, I thought if I channel the wire into the wal for the 4 inches from socket to underside of cabinet then we will til over it.

And yes Dave it is a switched socket, thanks for thinking of it though

-- chopster

Reply to
chopster