UK DIYers clueless about tools

I do - a screwdriver with a slot cut in it for doing up spokes, so that the nipple can be screwed down past the end of the spoke.

Reply to
PeterC

curvature so is better in a slot. It's also more common.

Reply to
PeterC

Buy a Leatherman.

Reply to
Huge

Kevin wibbled on Friday 23 July 2010 16:34

What would be best now? 50p or £2 coin?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why do some people like to move other people's things around and forget where they put them? Including stacking things on top of each other, like putting things on top of important things like the TV remote or car keys.

Reply to
Matty F

Matty F wibbled on Friday 23 July 2010 22:54

Now add the kids and you're doomed.

I never lose anything that's lying around in the roof spaces.

And keys and and paper are safe since I bough a job lot of bastard string neodynium magnets and stuck them to the fridge.

But try to hold onto the TV remote for a day...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hoy! Are you seeing my wife? ;)

On second thoughts, you can't be: her best triumphs are to place tall stacks of heavy objects such as books on top of thinwalled cardboard boxes crushing them and their contents!

She has learnt not to move things but has acquired the skill of placing stuff over them over the past ~40 years.

"Darling, do you know where I've put my glasses?" as I grope around the house trying to find them! No, not hidden, not crushed, just misplaced by me. Doh!

Reply to
Clot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

I'll bet it isn't.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

He probably effed off because he was a plantpot.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Funny that, my spoke screwdriver has a spike in the middle, so that it locates in the spoke nut. It's only for initial assembly of a wheel, truing uses a Spokey on the nut flats.

How many spokes end up sticking out past the nut, and what sort of rim tape does that need?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

geof must be taking his pills, at least for now.

Reply to
dennis

Morphed into Harry?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It's for the last few turns as it's much quicker than a key. I first made it when I used tubs. for TTs, then it was OK for rims such as Mavic M3CD, MA40 etc. There was often a little bit through when dishing was extreme (used to make a lot of effort to gain a few mm on the drive side to reduce it) and anyway, once the spoke is to the bottom of the slot the modded 'driver's handy.

Reply to
PeterC

In message , "dennis@home" writes

What are you ranting on about now, retard ?

Reply to
geoff

Harry and dennis, eh ?

Reply to
geoff

I bought several tins of paint a few months back for some outdoor work. I noticed on one of them it said "do not open with a screwdriver". Well, I already had. It didn't say how you should open the tin. Actually, the metal tab on the triagular gas meter box key is perfect. It is wide and slightly curved, like the edge of the tin.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hum, quite. How are you supposed to open these containers if you can't use a lever?

Whats the problem with a screwdriver? I am aware that the occasional lid will pop off rather than just come loose but that's why you have your other hand over the top of the can... One would also use a fairly large flat bladed screwdriver not a tiddly one for doing screws in plug tops.

I guess it's the nanny state and ares covering manufacturers protecting themselves from the clueless.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He is such a retard that he cannot spell geoff.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There are too many letters in geoff for you so I had to shorten it. Shouldn't you be out annoying your neighbours or are you having a day off?

Reply to
dennis

You are a cnt.

Adam