TV Aerial Experiment

Lets be silly. Take a commercial yagi TV aerial, take a strip of cardboard, and make a full size copy of the layout using bits of 2.5mm T&E cable for the elements, and the cardboard to replace the spine.

How well would it work?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

See

Bill Wright

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com scribeth thus

It would work .. so would any bit of metal, question is by how much relative to what;!..

The active elements don't have to be "connected" together. The diameter of the 2.5. Elements would have an effect on the bandwidth..

Reply to
tony sayer

Pleased that you are on this newsgroup. I enjoyed the aerial photos.

Reply to
John

Thank you. I've always been here. They haven't found a way to eradicate me. And I'm a cult you know. An absolute cult, that's what some of them on here call me.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

homemade 3 is a stairway to heaven..............

Reply to
tpow

Bill,

For the first time ever I have explored some of the more obscure links on your web site. I'm sad to say I found "Albert's Attic" especially interesting.

I always knew I was a "latent" anorak. Now I know for sure.

David

Reply to
Vortex3

Tony's right: the good news about yagis is that they "want to work". Anything that is sufficiently yagi-like will tend to be directional and have some forward gain, at some frequency or another.

Making them work *well*, and on the frequency that you want to use, is quite another story.

By removing the metal boom and element clamps, and also changing the diameters of the elements, you have changed two things that affect the resonant frequency of each element. This shifts the frequency response of the whole array. And as for the changes in the driven element, and how they might affect the transfer of signal into the downlead... you have no way to know.

If you are aiming to copy an existing Yagi design, you must copy: * all the element lengths * all the element diameters * the element mounting method. That means: copy EXACTLY. If you change any of these details, you are actually building a new design. The following page isn't specifically about TV yagis, but it gives some idea of what's involved:

but this really isn't a subject that you can just wander into and immediately succeed. Unless you have such a strong TV signal that none of this matters, you'd be better off with a commercial yagi.

Reply to
Ian White

Perfectly well on the single frequency it was designed for. The diameter of the elements affects the range of frequencies the antenna will remain effective on so its bandwidth would be less than the commercial equivalent as the wire is thinner than the aluminium tube.

Reply to
Peter Parry

It is ! As a lad I took Dad's decommissioned Band I/III aerial, chopped up its elements and converted it to a Group C/D UHF. I was astounded to discover that simply by pointing out of my ground level bedroom window, I could receive watchable pictures from Mendip (about

90 miles away).
Reply to
Mark Carver

Good till it rained.

I built many yagis in my youth, and as long as the main dimensions and connections were right, they all worked. However wood as a boom did tend to dampen the performance....)ouch)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a crossposted thread doncha know.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

In 1967(ish), my parents old 3-element Channel 5 (Band 1) aerial got trimmed down for the amateur 4m band (~70MHz). I the furthest contact I made with it was Gibraltar.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Which group?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You should try the one in my loft.. I need 24db of attenuation to avoid overloading the Philips set's receiver. Mind you I am only about 6 miles from Sutton and you get a decent digital picture using a screwdriver as an aerial.

Reply to
dennis

I bet that's because it's a Philips screwdriver...........;-)

Chas

Reply to
Chas Gill

Brilliant site Bill! Hmmm... I guess I must qualify for an anorak myself.

Reply to
mick

Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I remember making a horizontal yagi to receive RTÉ in Liverpool on channel 7 back in the sixties.

I'm sure I got the dimensions from Practical Television.

It only worked in the summer the opening season.

That's tropo not pub opening.

Reply to
XxXxX

Thank you. Anyone who has pictures of particularly interesting/wierd/inexplicable/dodgy aerials please send them in.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright