Turbine to drive a pump - perpetual motion ;-)

I'm considering using the flow from the outlet of a spring-fed pond to drive a turbine or water wheel which will in turn (mechanically, or electrically) drive a pump to pump water (very slowly) up a hill.

I'm not thinking of attempting perpetual motion, obviously the driving force has to be greater than the resultant flow, but I wondered if anyone had attempted this, and succeeded?

Reply to
Nigel M

There is a simpler way, though not sure if it will be suitable for your application. There is a kind of pump, widely used in the Third World, which can turn a large flow with little head into a slower flow but with a much greater head. I am not sure what the generic name for these pumps is - ram pumps perhaps, something along those lines. I'm sure someone else will have heard of them, and can flesh out the bones.

Of course, if you are doing the whole thing for fun and actually want to use turbines etc., well that's different. :-)

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

The Centre for Alternative Technology sel a book or two on this subject. Well worth getting.

IMM

Search for Hydraulic Ram. I last saw one in Wales about forty years ago.

Reply to
Eiron

EricP

"Eiron" wrote | Richard Sterry wrote: | > There is a kind of pump, widely used in the Third World, | I last saw one in Wales about forty years ago.

Figures.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nigel - why do you want water at the top of the hill ? Answer this and perhaps it will be easier to suggest a means of pumping it up efficiently !

Pete

Peter Stockdale

The ram effect is the best method.

Reply to
IMM

The pumping station in Shrewsbury has one, and a diagram of it's operation on the wall

Reply to
raden

It's a sealed box with an air chamber as a "pneumatic spring". Large volume airflow from the stream flows into the chamber and stores energy by compressing the air. Water hammer from the valves then gives rise to a high pressure pulse in the output pipe.

Easy to make, if you can weld. More trouble to get them working right. There are a couple of valves in there that need to be adjusted _just_ right. A pub CO2 cylinder is a useful air reservoir, you can either weld up a steel box, or use pipe fittings to make the flow chamber. For a waste valve, I used a beautiful ex-RAF fuelling butterfly valve. Lightweight spring-loaded flapper and very low force to actuate it.

CAT's books didn't work for me. My most useful text was a reprinted Victorian book on them, from Camden Books. Expect about 1/4 efficiency in your first ram, 2/3rd if you persevere. use iron pipe for delivery, not HDPE - pipe elasticity will stop it working !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Eiron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Kept the Welsh ewes cheerful?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

As someone else said, popular in the third world ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Google 'Hydraulic Ram'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are in the North East, you can see one in action at "Cragside" (NT property), used to pump water from the stream up to the storage tanks in the house.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

A problem then, the top of the hill is 150 metres away.

Reply to
Nigel M

they are widely ised in iceland.

Robert

It might be OK if buried; the mass of earth surrounding the pipe would contribute to effectively lowering its elasticity.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

And, with tongue firmly in cheek (I hope) they may have been used by the aincient Egyptians

seriosly - and this being d-i-y try

plans for a DIy ram pump.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

In message , Robert writes

Well they would be, it's cold up there in the winter

Reply to
raden

In message , Andy McKenzie writes

that ...