Tumble dryers

In message , Davey writes

I can't answer that as I wasn't there. The JL website says that model is out of stock so it may have been a clearance item.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It might have been, but over 50 years of shopping at JL has led me to another conclusion. If some other firm is undercutting their price by an amount they consider unprofitable, they are "out of stock". When the undersell goes away, the item comes back into stock. You can often order the item, even if officially "out of stock" if you are prepared to wait. If it was a clearance item the phrase probably would have been "No longer available".

Reply to
charles

For a while, long ago, I ran a tumble dryer in the vestibule; the dryer had one of those 2m long flexible hoses attached to the exhaust outlet and I fastened the other end of that to a slightly flattened cardboard tube (the container that a bottle of malt whisky had come in, less its metal base) and used just to post that out through the letter box. It worked fine.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I assume you had to find a safe way of disposing of the whisky first?

- Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Well..

- extra cost, check.

- Possibly humid exhaust, check.

- Not fully dry? No check.

Pros:

- electricity saving... only if you get a heat-pump model. Part check.

- Easy Install - check.

But you missed one - a conventional drier takes room air, heats it up, and throws it away. That's several kW literally out of the window. A condenser one leaves all that heat in the house. Even the heat of evaporation from the water it dried out of the clothes.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message , charles writes

That is interesting.

I think their price match has a limited radius from the store anyway.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One or two comments up thread doubted the dryness of the load.

Fully accept the energy waste aspect. Take several years of light use to payback though.

Not sure about the latent heat. Energy will be used evaporating the water and recovered at the condenser plate. That energy is presumably transferred through the heat pump and used to evaporate the water >>>>>

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Only if it doesn't use water to condense it. That is what a lot of them do.

Reply to
dennis

yes - but it's condensed back to liquid :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Just buy a gas one. They last forever[1] and are cheaper to run.

[1] "Forever"=from the birth of my first child until..... well, 24 years and still going strong....

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Stores, yes, not online. They will price match online as long as the other store has a bricks and mortar shop as well.

Reply to
chris French